News in Brief – 21/01/2014

New UCD campus set to open in China

It has been announced that UCD is extending its international reach by establishing a campus in China. The government in the city of Yantai is set to provide €300 million and a 300-acre campus to set up the campus.

The deal was completed during the tenure of former UCD President Dr Hugh Brady, who was succeeded by Prof. Andrew Deeks on January 1st. The new project is set to launch in 2015.

The campus will be a joint project with China Agricultural University (CAU) and elements of the Belfield campus will be taken into account in the design of the new campus, with one centre based on the design of NovaUCD.  The new campus aims to meet the needs of 10,000 students, with 1,000 set to study in Ireland as part of their degree.

It is hoped the initiaive will boost the UCD brand and according to Gary Fallon, director of Enterprise Ireland’s Chinese office, will dramatically enhance Ireland’s profile in the region. “The UCD Yantai development is a potential game-changer for companies looking to do business in China. It will dramatically enhance Ireland’s profile in the world’s second largest economy.”

UCD spin-out Logentries wins coveted NovaUCD Innovation Award

Dr Viliam Holub and Dr Trevor Parsons have been awarded with the prestigious NovaUCD Innovation award, to acknowledge the worldwide success of UCD spin-out Logentries, which is a management service that analyzes and collects log event data, ensuring the data is easily accessible, whilst improving the IT sector and businesses.

2014 marks the fourth year of the company, having been set up in 2010, that has since then raised $11 million in funding. The service has helped analysts to further their understanding of log data to improve their operations.

Dr Trevors has said he is “honoured” to accept the award at the UCD awards ceremony on behalf of Logentries after ten-years of joint research with Dr Holub and IBM. “In the coming months we will be seeking to fill 20 open engineering positions in Dublin where the company is looking for software developers, data scientists and engineers.”

The company is hoping to attract skilled software developers, data scientists and engineers. Logentries will also continue to work closely with UCD’s Performance Engineering Laboratory on research projects.

UCD to offer scholarship funds to Indian students

Over 100 scholarships are to be provided by UCD to both undergraduate and graduate students from India, wishing to pursue their studies in Ireland. The scholarships are to be divided into various categories based on the applicants school of study, with five €5,000 tuition fees for science programmes, and four €2,500 tuition fees for Business, Social Science and Arts Programmes.

Collectively, these will amount to €250,000, and most notably, four full scholarships will be in recognition of Varahagiri Venkata Giri (also known as V V Giri), a UCD alumnus and fourth president of India, who studied law at UCD from 1913-16.

The recently announced scholarship programme is hoped to enhance the UCD’s cultural aesthetic. Students who wish to learn more about the new scheme can find further details on the UCD International website. Alternatively students can email the UCD International Student Scholarships and Funding Coordinator, Kate O’Hanlon, at kate.ohanlon@ucd.ie.  Applications must be made before the closing date on the 17th of April 2014.