Freshers’ Ball a sell-out success

UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) Entertainment’s Manager, Paul Kilgillon, has started the year on a high with the success of the annual Freshers’ Ball. As the first sold-out event in recent Union history, the Ball, held on Thursday September 12th, sold out within days of tickets going on sale in the UCDSU Orientation tent on September 3rd.

The event was held in The Academy on Abbey Street and was headlined by Swedish DJ Basshunter. English hip-hop act DJ Yoda, Irish Indie band The Raglans and house-music specialists The Dead Prezidentz, who played at last year’s Freshers’ Ball and UCD Ball, also made appearances.

The Freshers’ Ball was the first event organised by Kilgillon, who described it as “a taster for what’s coming up for the rest of the year.” He said that UCDSU were “really excited about the Ball this year and [had] some fantastic acts. We will be looking to build on this years Freshers’ Ball success by looking forward to booking bigger and better acts for the rest of the year.”

Tickets were priced at €15 and, despite an increase in this cost by €5 compared to last year’s general sale tickets, UCDSU President Mícheál Gallagher pointed out that tickets this year are €3 cheaper than they were for the same event in both 2010 and 2011.

Gallagher also noted, “This year’s price reflects the excellent acts that [Paul] Kilgallon brought in. We’re comfortable that the price reflects best value for money and that all attending had a memorable night out.”

Kilgallon was brought onto the staff during the summer in an effort to professionalize the service that UCD Entertainments was providing. This came after an executive decision was made to do away with the position UCDSU Vice-President for Entertainments, which was not over-turned on student vote.

The manager is also hoped to increase the accountability of Ents within UCD, while providing a negotiating link between the university and major events coordinators, which is both professional and constant, rather than a student officer with a short, fixed-term role.

Gallagher added, “The job of the Ents office this year is to entertain the students of UCD, while ensuring that the finances of every event makes sense. With that, a small profit was made on this year’s Freshers’ Ball.”

There were no major incidents of concern at the Ball, according to Gallagher and “the event was a great success. Everyone enjoyed themselves.”

As with every Union event, all profits will be reinvested into the Union and to ensure UCD Ents can provide the best possible entertainment for students this year.