Beyond Retro, Drottninggatan 7711160 Stockholm

Pay a visit to this Swedish treasure trove and find that unique gem you never knew you needed, writes Lizzy Beecham

‘Vintage’ is an almost ubiquitous term in fashion these days. Some vintage clothes shops just seem to be depressing purveyors of overpriced tat. Contrast this to local charity shops, which often not only have delightfully unfussy but keenly priced merchandise, whilst maintaining the ethical upper hand. Beyond Retro brings something different to the table altogether, with imaginative sales displays, wonderful staff and great quality clothes on offer.

In terms of range, Beyond Retro has everything from jewelled turbans to old military uniforms and is kept updated with seasonal trends – in December the world’s most joyously festive Christmas jumpers are to be found on its racks. The effort and flair of the staff in creating a unique shopping environment is demonstrated, for example, by their Oscar-themed display with nods to The King’s Speech and Black Swan, et al.

The sales assistants are incredibly helpful and display a real love for assisting shoppers rather than pressuring you into a purchase. They are always on hand to seek similar styles in the stockroom, or, in this writer’s case, teach you very slowly how to perfectly tie a scarf into a bow. There are few places better to hunt out authentic elements for a costume from any era or for something a bit unique for a college ball.

Beyond Retro has another, equally large outpost in Stockholm in hipster central Södermalm (Åsögatan 144). It has become a well loved institution among Stockholm natives and is almost regarded as a must-stop on any shopping trip to the capital.

Luckily, Beyond Retro can also be found closer to home with a shop on London’s Brick

Lane. One is likely to leave Beyond Retro not overburdened with bags of purchases but with one or two really special items, and isn’t that the beauty of shopping?