UCD overcome UUJ to reach cup decider

UCD 6, UUJ 1: UCD reached the final of the College and Universities Football League Cup after overcoming the challenge of UUJ, writes Killian Woods

UCD qualified for the final of the College and Universities Football League cup thanks to a comprehensive win over the Univeristy of Ulster, Jordanstown (UUJ). With a host of first team players, UCD always looked the better side and were worthy winners.

UCD got off to a good start through Gavin Falconer who gave his side the early lead. Once on the front foot, UCD maintained the pressure, with great link-up play from James Timmons and Robbie Creevy exchanging deft passes and kept UUJ on the defensive.

Though the northerners levelled the match against the run of play, UCD were able to quickly step up a gear, and Mick Leahy gave UCD the lead once again when he latched onto a Pete McMahon corner kick.

From this point on, UCD never looked likely to lose the contest. They continued to make the best use of their technical ability to open up the UUJ defence, and UCD extended their lead thanks to good link up play between Dave McMillan and Sean Houston. McMillan was first assisted by Houston for his opener of the game, returning the favour by sending the newcomer through on goal. Houston rounded the keeper to open a three-goal lead.

UCD rounded off the game with two more goals – one each from Falconer and McMillan, the latter being in particular good form throughout the game and unlucky not to grab a hat-trick after seeing one of his blistering efforts ricochet off the post. UCD now go on to face DIT in the final of this competition and will be buoyed by their performance in this enthralling victory.