UCD lose out to Queens in netball semis

UCD’s netball teams competed in the 2010 Irish Netball Intervarsities in Belfast last Friday and Saturday. Teams from across the country took part in the event, with clubs from UCD, Queen’s University Belfast, Trinity College Dublin, and the University of Ulster campuses in Jordanstown and Coleraine all fielding two or more teams in the competition.

The tournament was organised in a round robin style, with every team facing off against each other over the course of the two-day event. UCD’s first team enjoyed great success in the initial stages of the competition, putting in good performances against the likes of Queen’s and UUJ to finish first in the round robin part of the event. UCD’s second team came sixth overall in this part of the competition, an impressive position considering the overall standard of the teams taking part in the tournament.

UCD’s first team advanced to the semi-final stage of the event, only to lose out to the eventual winners Queen’s in a close encounter, which saw UCD lose by just two points on a scoreline of 13-11. Though they finished on the losing side, UCD’s semi-final performance was particularly commendable, considering their opponents had several experienced Northern Ireland international players in their ranks.

Caroline Conlon was named UCD firsts’ player of the tournament, while Katie Lyons and Kathy McNestry were the best performers for the seconds and thirds respectively.