UCD Fencing take second at Irish intervarsities

A delighted UCD Fencing Team after their success at the Fencing Intervarsities

The 61st Irish Fencing Varsities were held at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland on March 14-15. UCD Fencing finished the season strong with a second place showing, behind only Trinity College Dublin.

The competition pits teams for men’s and women’s sabre, foil and épée against those of other universities from across Ireland in best-of-nine matches to five points each. Ten universities participated, with 149 matches up for grabs. Trinity College Dublin won gold with 34 victories, while UCD finished alone in second with 28. University College Cork and Queen’s University Belfast drew even at 26 victories, with the bronze going to Queen’s on a tiebreaker.

UCD was led by an exceptional performance from the women’s épée team. Despite being shorthanded for the entire competition and forfeiting three bouts in each match to opposing teams, the duo of Kate Coleman-Lenehan and Sive Brassil went undefeated, the first time such a feat has been accomplished at the competition in living memory.

Strong showings from men’s épée and both sabre teams helped UCD secure second place overall. Men’s épée won six of their seven matches, dropping one only to Queen’s University Belfast. Men’s sabre won six of eight matches, while women’s sabre won five of seven, both falling only to teams from UCC and Trinity. The foil teams did their part, with the men’s team winning three of six and the women’s team winning two of five.

UCD Fencing will end the 2014-2015 season by facing off against Trinity for the Colours next month.