UCD fall to Glenanne in Men’s Senior Cup

UCD failed to overcome Glenanne in Belfield on Saturday, reports Aaron Kennedy

UCD 1 – Glenanne 3

UCD were hoping to put their poor form in the league behind them last week and gain some confidence from a victory in the cup. They got their first league victory last weekend, after beating Clontarf 7-2.

The Belfield outfit have lacked the capacity to finish this season and needed to be clinical against an on-form Glenanne side. UCD were looking to the likes of recent signing Shane O’Donoghue, who is currently a member of the Ireland squad, to step up to the mark for them.

With the Shaw brothers and a strong midfield containing Brendan Parsons, Glenanne would prove to be a formidable opponent for UCD.

The game started briskly, with both sides showing admirable movement around the field. Glenanne started the first half with slick, fast-paced passing, creating an opportunity early on, only to be shot wide in the first five minutes.

Positive build-up play from the Tallaght men created early chances for them and they immediately showed their scoring capability. UCD hit back with a precise and neat ball flicked over the top, which was shot too high. The match was well in the balance in the first ten minutes with both sides showing signs of promise.

Everything changed at the fifteen minute mark when Glenanne’s Gary Shaw made an impressive burst up the right wing and shot across the UCD keeper to make it 1-0 to the away side.

UCD were left dumbfounded and were soon under more pressure from the Tallaght side with a corner which was sent wide.

The first half had proved quite frustrating for UCD, as their promising build-up play was hindered by their incapability to punish the Glenanne defence. A chance fell to UCD on the edge of the area but it was shot just wide from an acute angle.

UCD had another chance to bring themselves back into the game when Glenanne were reduced to ten men after a yellow card, but UCD failed to capitalise on their opportunity. They conceded a corner soon afterwards which was slotted into the roof of the net by Gary Shaw to make it 2-0, and gave him his second goal of the game.

UCD were having defensive problems, as they went in at the break 2-0 down, but it was the home side who shot out of the gates first in the second half, creating an early chance, only to shoot just wide.

The ball was being spread nicely by UCD and gave them a healthy period of possession. An early corner conceded by Glenanne in the first few minutes of the second half was just shot wide by the home side.

Glenanne began to ease back into the game when their team was restored to eleven men. Exquisite and delicate inward runs by Glenanne contributed to what became a very fast-paced match. Both teams tired late into the second half as they began to concede numerous corners.

Poor touches obstructed UCD’s chances of scoring time and again. Parsons was showing strength in the middle of the park for Glenanne and helped to break up the home side’s play throughout the match.

UCD found their eye for the goal at the thirty-five minute mark, when Shane Nolan scored a vital goal for the Belfield team to make it 2-1 approaching the end of the game. One corner could have proved vital for either side in terms of getting a result.

It was then that Jonathan Kane slotted home a third goal for Glenanne, after a well-worked play, to make it 3-1. The game finished on the highest of notes for the Tallaght team and will lift their confidence for their next game against YMCA. UCD, on the other hand, failed to perform at their best in what has been an uncomfortable season so far.