UCD and UL contest Ultimate-ly even affair

UCD 7 – 7 UL: A competitively contested friendly between UCD and UL is a good exhibit for Ultimate Frisbee, writes Killian Woods

frisbeeIn temperate conditions in Belfield on Saturday, Ultimate Frisbee players from UCD and the University of Limerick contested an enjoyable and competitive friendly match. The atmosphere before the game was very relaxed, with there was a unique team spirit throughout the two squads.

Ultimate Frisbee is not one of UCD’s most popular sports, though unlike most pre-conceptions, the game itself requires huge stamina and a good sense of strategic positioning. The game moves at a fast pace with stops in play only for turnovers, which are given for dropping the frisbee or sending it out of bounds.

Both sides used this match as a chance to show new members the ins-and-outs of the sport, and as an exhibition of the emerging and energetic game. After starting the afternoon with some team bonding between both squads, the brisk and intriguing game began.

Scoring in Ultimate Frisbee is simple, and similar to rugby or American Football: a point is scored when the Frisbee is cleanly caught within the opposition’s goal area. A player holding the Frisbee is not allowed to move, but their teammates are allowed to manoeuvre into position.

UL raced into a 4-1 lead after ten minutes following some quick incisive play – but after stepping up their game, UCD forced Limerick to make the errors which allowed the home side to narrow the gap with some patient build-up play.

The visitors regained composure midway through the game and again took the lead, only for UCD to pounce with two long-range scores. This clinical and competitive play left UCD two points ahead with only a few minutes to play.

However, UCD failed to finish off their opponents and lost possession in attacking positions, allowing two quick points from UL to draw the game.

UCD: Eoin Savage, Cian Ó Raghallaigh, Chris Dowler, Darragh Bourke, Padraig McMorrow, Ciaran Fagan, Naoise Ó Ciardha. Subs: Brooke Austin, Dominic Smith, Kevin Walsh, Elliot Isaac, Hunter Tuttle

UL: Jim Heneaghan, Shane Austin, Daragh Kelleher, James Moore, Steven King, Patrick Hayden, Liam Anderson, Tom Matthews. Sub: Mike Hurley