Trinity deny UCD four titles in a row

Some of the finest boxers from UCD and Trinity battled to win the Fred Tiedt Cup, creating a spectacle for all those in attendance, writes Killian Woods

UCD Boxing Club were unlucky to lose out to their old rivals Trinity in the Boxing Colours held in the Astra hall last Tuesday evening. Two spilt decisions in the final two bouts of the ‘Brawl in the Hall’ gave victory to the visitors in a contest that could have gone either way.

The event drew a near-capacity crowd to the Astra Hall, and those in attendance did not refrain from cheering on their fellow students who took to the ring. With the crowd roaring them on, UCD got off to a good start through Jonathan Timmons who quickly finished off his Trinity opponent, Stephen Murray. For the second fight, Trinity gathered themselves as the more experienced Ed Fitzgerald saw off Neil Dowling of UCD in a tightly-contested bout.

UCD regained the lead during the third fight – John Kirby comprehensively defeating his opponent Hugh McGeady – though for the second time of the night, Trinity pegged back as UCD’s Hassan Majeed came off worst in a hard-fought battle against Jay Cummins of Trinity.

After the interval, UCD’s Shane Murray got off to a flying start against Monty Lowry Corry, though Lowry Corry managed to regain his composure and saw Trinity take the lead for the first time. Entering the sixth bout of the night and with the scores narrowly in favour of Trinity, UCD’s James Wallace was charged with levelling the scores.

In his efforts, Wallace battled hard against Luke Healy to the end, as the two boxers created a spectacle that was worthy of being billed the fight of the night. The two lightweights fought valiantly and even after falling on the ropes and sustaining a bad injury to his nose, Wallace continued on. With the crowd brought to their feet, the fight went down to the judges’ scorecards. Unfortunately, Wallace lost out on a split decision, which ensured a Colours Cup victory for Trinity College boxing club.

Rob Thompson of UCD took on Thomas Spencer of Trinity in the final fight of the night, where for three rounds the two boxers stood toe-to-toe. UCD side yet again losing on a split decision, denying the club a consolation point on the night. Following the final bout, Michael McClure, President of the Trinity Boxing Club, accepted the Fred Tiedt Cup on behalf of the club.