Successful swimming intervarsities for UCD

UCD’s swimming club enjoyed a successful outing at the intervarsities in December. Killian Woods reports

December 2009 was a very successful month for UCD’s Swimming and Waterpolo Club as they recorded one of their greatest successes to date when the Club competed in the annual Swimming and Lifesaving Intervarsity Championships.

Niall McCauley, Claire O’Donovan and Earl McCarthy presenting the Ladies Swimming Intervarsities Award and the Mark McGann Memorial Cup to Brian Mullins, UCD Director of Sport. Photo: Killian Woods

The event, hosted by DCU in Donaghmede Leisure Centre, was a tremendous success for the 21-strong UCD team. The women’s team in particular were very successful, winning the overall best team award with 62 points, beating Trinity College (45 points) and NUI Maynooth (34 points) into second and third place respectively.

Their male counterparts finishing second in their category to NUI Maynooth, who boasted a 35 strong swim team, and who finished just six points ahead of UCD’s point tally of 111.

There were many standout performers for UCD at the event, with 2008 Olympian Aisling Cooney, Julie Galloway, and Grace Sweeney all winning medals, while David Cooney, Vincent McArdle and Paul Murphy also did well throughout and deserved their medals in the men’s events.

Even though UCD were pipped to victory in the men’s event, the club’s medal haul was very impressive and reflected the strides that they have taken in recent years. The club contested 18 out of 29 finals and won a remarkable 25 medals, which included 13 golds as well as six silver and six bronze medals.

UCD’s coach and former Olympian (Atlanta 1996) Earl McCarthy spoke to The University Observer about the event, saying the competitions “was one of the most competitive in many years. Overall it was a fantastic performance from UCD Swimming. Our women’s team dominated, winning overall best team award and UCD men’s team fought a tough battle gaining second place behind Maynooth.”

McCarthy continued that “NUIM have been running a well established scholarship team for many years now so it looks like Varsities swimming is going to have a challenging yet successful future.”