Students run six tries past Greystones

Greystones 9, UCD 47: College made it two wins from two with an effective performance away in Greystones, writes Stephen Devine

UCD recorded their second victory of their AIB League Division 2 season with a 47-9 bonus point win over Greystones on Saturday afternoon, scoring six tries in the process.

Greystones started the brighter of the sides, with outhalf Barry Lynn converting two penalties within the first five minutes as the Wicklow side raced into a 6-0 lead. UCD responded twice through the boot of Niall Earls shortly after to leave the teams level.

UCD sustained some more Greystones pressure before a great line break in the 25th minute by prop Brian Hall, from the edge of the Greystones 22, allowed number eight Kevin Croke to crash over from short range. Earls missed the conversion to leave the score 11-6 with 25 minutes gone.

A great individual effort by John Cooney allowed UCD to extend their lead, following a Greystones knock-on in midfield. The Irish U20 scrum half grubbered the ball almost fifty metres before touching down under the posts. Earls made no mistake with the conversation second time around, leaving the scores 18-6 with 35 minutes gone.

UCD were presented with another opportunity deep inside the Greystones’ half after Barry Lynn produced an abject clearance. UCD mauled the ball the full length of the 22 off the ensuing lineout, allowing lock Shane Grannell, on as a blood sub, to crash over at the back of the maul. Earls once again converted from the touchline, and stretch UCD’s lead to 28-6 on the stroke of half time with a well-taken penalty.

Greystones scored the first points of the second half as Lynn converted a penalty from straight in front of the posts. The Wicklow side put themselves under further pressure on 56 minutes though, when winger Butterworth was shown a yellow card for a spear tackle. UCD made the most of their numerical advantage to secure their four-try bonus point; flanker Gavin Murphy forced his way over from the lineout.

Prop Conor Geoghegan forced his way over from close range just two minutes later, with Earls once again showing commendable composure as he converted to leave the score 42-9. UCD sustained a period of Greystones pressure in the final 10 minutes before winger Fletcher broke out of his own 22, and allowed fullback Michael Twomey to recycle before going over for the final try, leaving the final score 47-9 in UCD’s favour.

With maximum points from their first two games, UCD will hope to build further momentum as they travel to face Thomond next Saturday for their second round AIB Cup clash.