Sports Digest – November 27th

Wakeboarding

UCD student David O’Caoimh has finished off a highly successful 2012 season on the wakeboarding circuit with a second appearance in the Wakeboard World Cup Series this year in Palembang, Indonesia.

The 18 year old, who began the sport at the age of 5, has just begun his studies in UCD this year and began his season with a gold in the Junior Men Division at the Europe/Africa Wakeboarding Championships in South Africa. O’Caoimh was then invited to the Wakeboard World Cup, where he eventually finished 5th overall.

After taking bronze in the US Wake Games, as well as defending his titles in Germany and Ireland, O’Caoimh looked back on his triumph and stated: “I am so happy to have had such a fantastic season and I’m really delighted with my titles.”

Sailing

On November 17-18th, UCD Sailing Club took part in the IUSA Southern Championships at the eastern tip of Valentia Island, County Kerry. With 23 teams competing in the event, UCD Sailing had 6 teams competing altogether.

UCD5 and UCD6 had successful outings on the water in the Bronze fleet with teams picking up enough wins to qualify for the Bronze Fleet finals the following day. In the Silver Fleet, UCD4 and UCD3 qualified with the promise of easy quarterfinal races on the Sunday.

UCD2 and UCD1 managed to retain their place in the Gold Fleet for the final series also. A severe storm that lasted throughout Saturday and Sunday meant that the Final Series races could not be played out, which gradually lead to a count back resulting in a 2nd Place finish for UCD1 in the Gold Fleet overall.

GAA

UCD 2-14; DCU 2-12

UCD withstood a second half flurry from DCU to win the Fresher’s ‘A’ Football League at Parnell Park on Wednesday afternoon. UCD shot out of the gates quickly and took a 1-6 lead after ten minutes of play. Jack McCaffrey blasted in the opening goal for the Belfield outfit as UCD ended the first half four points the better, with a 1-7 to 0-6 score line.

The UCD side were just as promising at the beginning of the second half, with Kingston grabbing a second point straight after the restart, but DCU responded quickly, hitting back with a Niall Murphy point. However, DCU went another goal down after Niall Kelly struck the ball home.

At this stage it appeared UCD had the game in the bag, but the DCU players had not yet given up. Two goals from McHugh gave DCU hope for the win, but it was UCD who finished the match on top in the end and rightly took the Fresher’s Football league trophy home with them.