Sports Digest – November 20th

Basketball

UCD Marian put an end to a four-game losing streak by beating Killester 84-61 in UCD last Saturday night. Marian built on a four point lead at the half to eventually win by 23 points and record their third win of the campaign.

UCD had the game wrapped up by the time the fourth quarter began as John Galvin once again top-scored for the home side, this time with an impressive haul of 30 points, doubling the tally of Killester’s top-scorer.

The win puts UCD Marian in fourth place in the table on 14 points after eight games; ten points off undefeated UCC Demons who sit in first. UCD will face off against Killester, who sit in sixth place, again on Sunday in UCD at 3pm.

Athletics

UCD retained their road relay title at the Intervarsity Road Relay Championships last Saturday in Maynooth. UCD’s men finished only a second ahead of their DCU rivals in the nine mile race to reclaim the title.

In total, 26 teams competed in the event which was finally decided by a 0.3 second difference between UCD’s Mark English and DCU’s Brian Kelly after 41 minutes of intense racing, which saw DCU break the course record for two stages of the event.

The men’s team consisted of Captain Dan King, Alan McCormack, Chris Johnston and Mark English. Meanwhile, UCD’s women finished in sixth place in their event. The team was made up of the relatively inexperienced quartet of Harriet Flynn, Ellie Hartnett, Eva Lafferty and Shauna Moran.

Rugby

UCD RFC fell to a 38-14 defeat to undefeated Dublin University RFC at College Park last Saturday. The defeat was UCD’s second in a row, while Dublin University extended their unbeaten run to 18 games and sit in second place in the Ulster Bank League Division 1B, only behind Ballynahinch on point-difference.

Despite only trailing by two points at the half, and a second-half sin-binning for the home side, Collidge were outscored by five tries to one.

The loss means UCD fall to fifth place in the table, 11 points off the top two, after six games played this season. UCD’s next game is at home to ninth place Dungannon on Saturday the 1st of December at 2.30pm. It will be UCD’s last game before the Christmas break.

Medal Winners: (L-R) Eamon Lovett, Roseanne Boland, Sean Cusack, Rebekah Rennick, Ross O’ Ceallaigh, Maeve O’ Callaghan

Trampolining

UCD Trampoline Club won the Intervarities Shield at the weekend, at the Intervarsities competition which took place in Trinity College Dublin. This marks their second victory in a row at the competition, after winning the Shield for the first time last year.

This year’s Intervarsities had competitions in individual and synchronised trampolining, and UCD took home six gold, five silver and two bronze medals, as well as winning the competition overall. UCD placed first in the Novice Men, Novice Ladies, Intermediate Men, Advanced Men, and Advanced Ladies categories. In addition, two of UCD’s teams placed first and second in the synchronised event.

The event was attended by colleges from around the country, including UCC, DCU, NUI Maynooth, TCD, UL, GMIT and Queen’s Belfast.