Sports Digest

with Killian Woods

Rugby
No fewer than seven UCD rugby players were called into the Ireland under-20 training squad announced last Tuesday. The camp will take place in November, and will involve a match against a Munster ‘A’ side at Dubarry Park on Thursday 5th November.

Collidge’s representation in the squad is very commendable, with the club’s players taking seven of the twenty-nine places. Among the UCD players called up were Risteárd Byrne, John Cooney, Ben Marshall, David McSharry, Noel Reid, Rhys Ruddock and David Doyle.

Four of the UCD players selected were part of the intervarsity Conroy Cup-winning side that brought home the trophy for the second year running. Byrne, Marshall, Doyle and Reid all gave good performances as UCD overcame University College Cork in the final by 15 points to 6.

Handball
The Irish Handball intervarsities tournament took place in Wicklow between the 16th and 18th October. The tournament started with the opening rounds of the Men’s B team event, and the Women’s Doubles. UCD’s Men’s B team consisted of Kevin Mulligan, Michael Busher, Chris Nolan and Sam Temple.

In their first three rounds, UCD Men’s B enjoyed three close wins over IT Carlow and NUI Galway. This led them to the final against DCU, which unfortunately College lost by a mere two points, 73-71.

The Women’s Doubles team had more success. In a round robin format, UCD defeated UCC and UL to take the overall title. In the Men’s C division, two UCD freshers dominated, with Sam Temple and Chris Nolan winning through to the final. Unfortunately a twisted ankle sustained in his semi-final hampered Temple’s chances of winning, while Nolan brought his impressive form into the final to win comfortably.

Archery
James Ryan won the 16th Greenhills Anniversary Shoot in the Olympic recurve category earlier this month. Representing UCD’s Archery Club, Ryan scored an unofficial Intervarsity league record of 578. Continued performances of this calibre are likely to win Ryan a place in the upcoming European Indoor Championships.

Ryan’s recent display eclipsed his previous record set at the Limerick Intervarsity shoot by 20 points. Unfortunately it is unclear whether Ryan’s new record can be validated, as Greenhills Shoot are not part of the Intervarsity League. Regardless, Ryan’s impressive performance will no doubt set a standard for this season’s competitions.