Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

O’BYRNE SHIELD

UCD’S HOPES of winning some early season silverwear have proved fruitless after a disappointing defeat to Carlow in Páirc Uí Bhriain. The early exchanges saw UCD rush into the lead with three early points, but they were unable to keep up the pressure and found themselves a point in arrears at half time, with Mark Ronaldson largely responsible for the College side managing to stay in the game.

However, a second half blunder by the UCD goalkeeper allowed Carlow’s Eric McCormack score a goal that placed in an impenetrable gap between the sides, with UCD losing out in a scoreline of 1-17 to 0-12.

U20 BASKETBALL

THE UCD Under 20s have won the National Cup after a pulsating victory over Maree in the final at the Arena in Tallaght. Despite being in arrears with just seconds remaining, Marian’s Daniel James secured the most dramatic of 3-pointers to snatch a 57-56 victory. James’ performance saw him awarded a deserved MVP.

TOEPEG THURSDAY

THIS MONTH sees the beginning of a new Student Soccer League within UCD. Until this season, UCD was the only university in Europe with a side in their countries top division, which is a sign of the continued soccer talent within the college.

ToePeg Thursday, will as the name suggests, run every Thursday evening in the college for this semester between 6 and 8pm, with games lasting 40 minutes. It is expected that the new league will turn up several talented young players of both genders, while the cash prizes for the winners will entice many prospective footballers.

COLLEGES SOCCER

UCD WILL PLAY Queen’s 28th March in the Quarter Finals of the FAI Umbro Colleges and Universities Football League (CUFL). UCD qualified for this tournament after a good run of form in the latter part their group stage, and will hope to continue this in the knockout against what’s expected to be a physically strong Queen’s side. However, home advantage will be vital, and UCD will be pleased to have avoided the long trip north as the game will be played at Belfield.

GAA

A MOTION has gone before the Dublin County Board seeking to ban third-level institutes from entering club football and hurling championships, sparking from UCD’s recent successes in the Dublin Championships. The issue is that full time students from clubs outside Dublin that are below senior level are entitled to field for UCD against other Dublin clubs, who have now come out against the dual status exemption.

When the rule was initially introduced, it was designed to protect clubs outside of Dublin by guaranteeing the fitness of their players while they might be missing competitive action at home. Whether or not this bid to see UCD outlawed will prove to be successful is as of yet unclear, but advocates point to the fact UCD have only won three titles in over a century of competing, which hardly points to a dominance.

It was also clarified that no academic exemptions are offered by UCD to players, regardless of their sporting prowess.