Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

Rowing
The beginning of the new competitive season saw UCD’s boat club continue where they left off with a sterling performance at the 65th Dublin Head of the River, an event held on the Liffey in Dublin’s city centre.UCD took the Diana Cook Trophy, for most successful team on the day, an achievement never managed by any UCD team since the inception of the trophy. Perhaps the most dramatic victory on the day was for the men’s Intermediate VIII, who had to combat a ten-second penalty for being late to the start, before eventually triumphing by a margin of 0.15 seconds over Neptune RC. Next weekend, the team will be travelling to London to compete with the Oxford team ahead of their Boat Race against Cambridge, that itself being the biggest date in rowing.

Athletics
UCD has finished sixth overall in the Irish Universities Athletics Association Indoor Track and Field Championships, held last week in Nenagh Olympic Stadium. The Mens’ team, to their credit, finished sixth overall, taking two gold, two silver and two bronze. Ruairi O’Briain’s outstanding performance in the pole vault saw him not only take gold, but also set a new IUAA record of 4.40m. In the 400m, Jamie Davis timed a personal best of 50.76 as he took gold in the 400m. UCD also took second in the same race, with Stuart Greene winning the silver medal.

Soccer
An underxtrength UCD side has taken victory in the Annual Colours tie against Trinity. A commanding 2-0 scoreline took the honours for the Belfield unit, with a second half brace from David McMillan enough to do for their city centre rivals. This tees UCD up nicely for the Collingwood Cup clash with Magee College in the first round, with a potential tie against Queen’s or University of Limerick in the quarters. UCD, along with UCC, will be amongst the favourites for this prestigious trophy.

Fencing
The East of Ireland Open was held in UCD this month, and was the most hotly contested in it’s history. Mohammed Al Bloushi was successful over Fergal Martin to take first place in the Men’s Foil, while the Men’s Epee title was decided with a victory for Eric Profitt over Yves Carnec. This year saw longer fencing times, while cash prizes for the winners added to the lure of this year’s competition.

Basketball
UCD/Marian have completed the Northern Conference section of the Men’s Superleague with a victory over the UCC Demons. The result in itself was academic after Marian’s victory over DCU Saints the previous week had guaranteed them second place, and with that a place in the Play-Offs against an as of yet unconfirmed opponents. DART Killester has also continued their fine form. Having beaten Marian earlier in the season, they have gone on the top the Conference and will also move into the play-off stages.