Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

Soccer
Despite the recent disappointment for the UCD Eircom League side, the A team were delighted to win the Championship with a win over Bohemians at the Belfield Bowl. Although the team’s senior fortunes could hardly be more contrasting, this win gave the Students their fourth A Championship in just six years.
It was a family affair on the UCD score sheet with brothers David and Evan McMillan both netting, the latter also enjoying a recent spell in the first team squad.

UCD didn’t have it entirely its own way, however, and fell behind to a Paddy Madden goal on the stroke of half time. David struck an equaliser, to force the game into a pulsating extra time period that saw Bohs’ reduced to eight men. Evan McMillan then made up for an earlier missed opportunity by rising highest to nod in the late, late winner and deny Bohs’ a second league championship of the season.

Basketball
UCD Marian has extended their Indian summer in the Northern Conference with another victory, with the Ulster Elks the most recent casualties to the Marian juggernaut. The commanding 98-74 win consolidates second spot, with the disappointing defeat to DART Killester the only blemish on the season up to this.
American Dave Ryan continued his sparkling form, notching up an impressive personal tally of 24 points.

Despite rushing into an early lead, Marian only led 17-16 at the end of the first quarter. However, the second quarter saw brave counter-attacking by the home side allow them race into a twelve point half time lead and from there they didn’t look back. A rare statistic for UCD/Marian was that five players notched up double figures on the day (Dave Ryan – 26, Michael Parker – 19, Luke McCrone – 12, Conor Meany – 10 and Conor James – 10) and the Students will hope to keep this up as the competition heats up over the Christmas period.

Tennis
Fresher star Jenny Claffey took the Ladies Championship in the recent National University Tennis Championships held in Westwood Fitness Club, Clontarf. A three-set victory in the final saw her take the prize, after a straight set victory over defending champion DCU’s Laura Milner in the semi-final had paved her way to the final. This win only adds to Claffey’s burgeoning reputation as one of the brightest stars of Irish tennis, and continues UCD’s strong tradition in this competition.

Ladies Soccer
UCD Ladies continued their recent fine form with a hard fought victory over University of Limerick in UCD last week. The win over last season’s champions leaves UCD with three wins from three after already defeating Galway and Sligo IT. The grudge match was made all the more intense due to the UL Ladies desire to retain their hard fought trophy from last time out. The result leaves UCD the favourites to take this season’s crown.