Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

Golf
The UCD men’s golf side have returned from their annual tour of America where they took on Iowa State University in New York. The touring side, led by playing captain, John Greene, comprised of a selection of the university’s elite eight golfers.

The first day saw the teams level at 2-2 after a UCD resurgence and when play resumed in the famous Wingfoot Golf Course, the host of this year’s US Open major, the teams again could not be separated, going in at 4-4.

The final day again saw the teams tied at 8-8, with a tiebreaker inevitable. UCD’s top two golfers, Gerard Kelly and Rory Mac Namara were select to play a four-ball playoff in which Kelly was able to two-putt at the third to retain the trophy.

Basksketball
UCD Marian continued their strong start to the season with another victory, this time over the Limerick Lions at Belfield. Some excellent three-pointers from the impressive Conor Meany allowed UCD to go in 37-37 at half time.

Continuing what is a hallmark of this side, Marian pulled away in the third with scores from scholarship duo Conor and Daniel James, with the game eventually finishing 74-53. This leaves Marian second in the North Conference after three wins from a possible four.

Under-20 Rugby
The Conroy Cup has returned home to UCD for the first time in five years. The Cup, a prestigious Under-20s Intervarsity competition, was contested in the grounds of Queens University in Belfast.

The final was played in poor weather conditions of wind and gale, as UCD took on UCC. The Cork side elected to play against the wind in the first half, and this allowed fullback Noel Reid kick three penalties, giving UCD a 9-0 half time lead. A late try by the Cork men meant a nervous finish, but UCD hung on to win the trophy, named after former UCD RFC secretary, the late Paddy Conroy.

Boat Club
UCD Boat Club has built on last season’s success with several wins in recent weeks. Scholarship recipient, David Neale, won the club’s first title of the year with a victory in the Offaly Sculling Ladder. Neale completed the 2250m course in an impressive 8:53 minutes.

Ex-UCD and current Old Collegians member, Seán Jacob also had success, winning the Dublin Sculling Ladder in 6:33, eleven seconds ahead of another UCD man, Con Cullis. David Neale finished a creditable fifth.

Ladies Hockey
The Ladies Hockey side built on their encouraging start to the season with a victory in the intervarsity competition. The Chilean Cup had been won by UCC last season, and the Cork side started well in their attempts to retain the trophy, easing their way to a final date with UCD.

However, an extra time goal from Rosie Carrigan after a goalmouth scramble allowed UCD exact revenge for last season’s defeat to the same opposition and they secured the Cup.