Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

Gaelic Football
UCD will be disappointed at their exit to Kilmacud Crokes in the quarter final of the Dublin Senior Football Championship. Both teams had gone in to the tie with unbeaten records and having topped their respective groups. However, there was no doubting the superiority of the Stillorgan based side, who came out on top by a convincing 1-11 to 0-5 scoreline.

Former UCD Physiotherapy student and Dublin fullback, Paul Griffin was key to Crokes’ victory, comfortably winning his battle with the Students’ dangerman, Shane Lennon, who had been so important in UCD’s march to the knock out stages. With Lennon blunted, UCD’s return of a paltry 0-5 was in stark contrast to their free scoring style in the Group Stage.

It is difficult to assess UCD’s season as they had been so impressive in dispatching their rivals in the group stage that many were convinced a repeat of the 2006 triumph was imminent. However, such a disappointing exit makes it hard to quantify that early potential, and it is back to the drawing board for those involved, as preparations for the Sigerson Cup can now begin in earnest.

Basketball
After their controversial victory over the Abrakebabra Tralee Tigers, UCD Marian were unfortunate to lose to Dublin rivals DART Killester in what was their first home game of the season.

The hosts took an early lead, streaking ahead in the first quarter, only for Killester to turn it around with a stunning performance in the second, leaving the half time score 35-24, and the visitors with a surprisingly commanding lead.

It seemed at many points as if Killester were destined to pull away and embarrass UCD, but a late, spectacular rally (akin to that against the Tigers the previous week) got UCD within 3 points at the final whistle, and on the wrong end of a 68-65 defeat. Perhaps on the day, UCD’s free throwing proved their downfall but there is certainly scope for a successful Superleague season for UCD this time out.

Destination Dubai
GAA President Nickey Brennan has suggested Dubai as a potential venue for the final of this year’s Fitzgibbon Cup. The Fitzgibbon, the premier higher education tournament in hurling, is annually contested by UCD and many feel that the breakthrough could be made this year with the continuing emergence of stars in the UCD ranks, amongst them Dublin trio Ross O’Carroll, Joey Boland and Tomás Ó Brady who are all becoming mainstays of the Fitzgibbon Cup side.

Middle-Eastern airline company, Etihad, who are among the GAA’s main sponsors, requested that a match be played in the Emirates this season and Brennan’s proposal has gone down well with students, if not so well with GAA enthusiasts.