Sports Digest

UCD AFC draw with Drogheda United

UCD AFC moved one step closer to ensuring their place in the Airtricity League for another season after holding Drogheda 1-1 in Hunky Dory Park. Robbie Benson scored the equalising goal for UCD on 33 minutes after the Students fell behind to an early goal from Peter Hynes after only 11 minutes.UCD were lucky not to fall behind earlier in the fixture, as Drogheda were denied a penalty when the referee failed to notice that the arm of Mark Langtry deflected Gavin Brennan’s effort on goal after only three minutes. Brennan, however, turned provider for Drogheda less than ten minutes later as he set up Hynes, who headed past UCD goalkeeper Conor O’Donnell.

UCD had plenty of chances to level the game before Benson eventually found the net. Sean Russell saw his free-kick from 20 yards out saved by Gabriel Sava in the Drogheda goal, while Craig Walsh was denied by the frame of the goal on the half hour mark.

The second half saw both sides cancel each other out. Drogheda had the best chance to win the game in injury time, but Mark Langtry blocked Gavin Brennan’s shot to ensure UCD left Hunky Dory Park with a point.

Sitting in 10th place on the Airtricity League table, with 27 points after 31 games played, UCD are six points ahead of Shelbourne in 11th and Bray Wanderers in 12th position respectively. The Students need one point from their remaining two games to avoid direct relegation to the First Division, while a draw against Shelbourne in the final game of the season will see the students avoid the promotion/relegation play-off.

Camogie:

The UCD Camogie club will field three teams in the Higher Education League and championship competitions this year. The Senior 1 team is to compete in the Ashbourne Cup and All-Ireland league, while the Senior 2 team will be challenging for the regional league and championship. Meanwhile, the freshers team will take part in the Higher Education fresher competitions and 7-a-side blitzes during the academic year.

The Senior 1 team have drawn WIT and NUIG in their group to achieve their minimum goal of reaching the Ashbourne weekend, which is being hosted by UUJ this February. WIT beat UCD last year in the semi-final in Limerick and went on to win it outright, by beating UL in extra time. UCD are also in a group with DIT, DCU, and UUJ starting from the 18th of October.

The Ashbourne team will be managed this year by Declan Phelan and Simon Aylward. They have big shoes to fill, with last year’s managers Graeme Dillon and Niall Williams nominated for Camogie Managers of the Year for their efforts with the Kilkenny camogie team.

Athletics:

The UCD Athletics Club looks to continue their tradition as one of the most successful intervarsity club in Irish sport. The Athletics Club has a proud history of developing talent and has produced more Olympians and World Championship competitors than any other UCD sports club.

Past members include Olympian James Nolan (current UCD distance coach), World Indoor Gold and European Outdoor silver medallist in the 100m hurdles Derval O’Rourke, along with Irish senior international athlete Joanne Cuddihy (400m).

Currently, the club boasts a number of junior, under-23, and senior international representatives and now provides training and competition for all abilities and levels of competition.

Teams regularly compete in track and field, road relay, mountain running, and cross country intervarsities, as well as the annual colours event with Trinity. Training is also provided for jumps, throws, sprints and distance athletes.