Sports Digest – February 5th

Rugby

UCD RFC leapfrogged the Buccaneers into third place in Division 1B of the Ulster Bank League on Saturday after recording an impressive 26-3 away win over Bruff in Limerick. The win means Collidge now trail second-placed Dublin University (aka Trinity College) by two points, with only one game remaining before they face off in Belfield on Friday, February 22nd.

Tries from Barry Daly, Conor Gilsenan, Danny Kenny, Jordan Coghlan gave UCD a winning bonus point, their fifth of the season. UCD now lead the league in bonus points, with five try-scoring bonus points to go along with two losing ones. Conversions from James Thornton (2) and Niall Earls helped to show UCD’s dominance on the scoreboard.

Collidge’s next game is against the undefeated league leaders Ballynahinch, in Ballymacarn Park, on Saturday February 16th. The last time the two faced off, in October, UCD fell to a 24-13 defeat at home.

Basketball

UCD Marian once again let a first-half lead slip away as they fell to their seventh Superleague defeat in a row against Moycullen on Saturday. Marian have not won a game in the league since they beat Killester at home in November, only to lose to the same team a week later.

Marian held a 39-38 advantage at halftime, but were outscored by thirteen points in the second half against fellow strugglers Moycullen. The loss means that Marian are now bottom of the table, three points behind both Moycullen and Dublin Inter, their two most recent opponents, despite playing a game more than both sides.

The 78 points scored represented Marian’s second highest total of the season. Marian must now look forward to two games in three days this week, as they face DCU Saints away on Thursday night, before hosting UCC Demons on Saturday, having already lost to both sides twice this season.

Swimming

The UCD Elite Swim Team competed at the Swedish Grand Prix 1 in Uppsala, Sweden last week. Lisa Comerford picked up gold in the Women’s 800m Freestyle. Her win club-record time was 0.79 seconds better than her closest rival, Sweden’s Josefine Hippi. Comerford set further club records in both the 200m and 400m Freestyles.

Aisling Cooney then set a club record in the Women’s 50m Freestyle in her heat, only to break that record in the final. Shauna O’Brien set a club record in the Women’s 100m Butterfly, an event in which she is the Irish National Champion. She also set a club record in the 50m Butterfly, as she finished third overall. Both Cooney and O’Brien also broke the club record for the 100m Freestyle.

Back home, the UCD Swim Team won the Colleges and Universities Sports Association of Ireland League in Galway, having already built up a comfortable lead from the first event in UCD.