Sports Digest

Trampolining

The Irish Student Trampolining Open (ISTO) is set to take place in Cork from the 5th to the 7th of April 2013. The event is attended by 40 different Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, Scottish and English clubs, and has attracted international attention in recent years from French, Dutch and German trampoline clubs. It is the largest trampolining competition in Ireland.

This year’s ISTO will have competitions in individual, synchronised, double-mini trampolining and tumbling, which aim to include all ability levels from novice to elite. This year’s event will also introduce more disciplines and levels of gymnastics. A portion of sponsorship will be donated to the Irish cancer society, with €1,025 donated to Special Olympics Ireland last year.

Football

UCD AFC has won the Airtricity League Fair Play award for the 2012 season. As a result, UCD AFC will receive €4,000, along with the chance of playing in the Europa League next season. The competition is based on points system with points awarded or deducted by the match delegate at each Premier Division match for red and yellow cards, positive play and the behaviour and attitude of players and team officials.

UCD will now wait for the result of UEFA’s Respect Fair Play ranking which is based on all UEFA competition matches played at both club and national team level, from May 1, 2012 to April 30, 2013.

The top three countries in the table on May 1, 2013 will each be granted one additional slot for the first qualifying round of the 2013/14 UEFA Europa League. If Ireland is to be placed in the top three, UCD will be given a slot within the Europa League next season.

Basketball

UCD Marian lost by nine points at the Upper Glanmire Sports Centre against Bord Gáis Neptune on Saturday the 10th of November with Neptune winning by a score of 64-53.

UCD Marian held a two point lead at half time with a score of 33-31, but Neptune were able to dig deep and secure victory, now sitting in third position in the league table to UCD Marians fifth. Although UCD boasts the tightest defence in the league, they could not contend with Neptune’s offence in the second half.

UCD’s attack once again was left wanting, as John Galvin top-scored for Marian with 20 points, while captain Niall Meany managed nine points. UCD have now lost their last four games, having started the season with two wins from their first three. Marian’s next game is against Killester on Saturday, November 17th in UCD. Throw in is at 7.10pm.