Sports Digest

Rugby

UCD U-21s left the UCC Sports Grounds in Bishopstown having been crowned the 2012/2013 Conroy Cup champions, defeating Trinity College Dublin 13-7 in the final. Squads from Carlow IT, NUI Maynooth, and Queens University Belfast were also welcomed.

UCD’s squad remained relatively young, with only three of last season’s team in the squad. UCD opened their campaign by defeating newcomers NUI Maynooth 56-0, followed by a tougher 33-17 victory over Queens University. Trinity beat both Carlow IT and UCC en route to the final.

Following a scoreless first half, Trinity broke the deadlock with a converted try just after half time. UCD upped the intensity, resulting in Peter Conlon going over in the corner. Captain Liam Burke kicked a difficult touchline conversion, as well as adding two penalties, as UCD repelled a late Trinity fight-back and retained their crown.

Sailing:

UCD represented Ireland at the 32nd Student Yachting World Cup in La Rochelle, France from October 27th to November 3rd. This was the first time Ireland was represented in the competition for over a decade. UCD earned the right to represent Ireland having won the Irish Student Yachting national Championships in March.

UCD will be looking to build on a successful time at the Irish University Sailing Associations (IUSA) Eastern Championships in Wexford, which ran from the 13th to the 14th of October. In a competition that featured seven other colleges, two UCD teams battled it out in the bronze final, with UCD6 emerging as the victors.

UCD3 finished second in the silver fleet, losing out to a Trinity Alumni team in their final. UCD1 were defeated by the Alumni team, who would go on to win the overall event, in the semi-finals of the Gold fleet by a score of 2-1.

Basketball

UCD Marian lost by 12 points at home to UL Eagles in their Nivea for Men’s Superleague encounter last Saturday night, with the Eagles winning by a final score-line of 61-73. The teams were tied at 30-a-piece at half time, but UL asserted their dominance and stay second in the table, while UCD Marian sit in fourth.

Captain Niall Meany top-scored for Marian with 16 points, as Marian maintained their record of the lowest-scoring offense in the league. UCD’s remains the stingiest defence in the league, but it could not bail them out this time, as a second half surge saw them fall short. Marian’s next game is against Moycullen on November 3rd in UCD.

By Jack Walsh