Sports Digest

Swimming

Four members of UCD swimming’s first team travelled to Stockholm on the morning of Friday October 12th until Sunday 14th to compete at a Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) World Cup Meet over the weekend.

The four swimmers are 2008 Olympian Lisa Comerford in the 50m, 200m and 400m freestyle, Aisling Cooney in 50m and 100m backstroke as well as 50m butterfly, Shauna O’Brien in the 50m and 100m Butterfly, the 100m freestyle and the 200m individual medley and also Shani Stallard in the 50m, 100m and 200m breaststroke and 200m individual medley.

The four swimmers were accompanied by Head Coach Mr Earl McCarthy, who represented Ireland at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Rugby

Leinster ‘A’ selected three UCD students in their match day 22 for their British and Irish Cup opener against English side Leeds Carnegie in Donnybrook on Saturday evening. Wingers Andrew Boyle and Sam Coughlan-Murray were in action, while flanker Jordan Coughlan was a late selection as the side was captained by tight-head prop Jack MacGrath.

UCD man Jordan Coughlan opened the scoring for a Leinster ‘A’ team that was blessed with an embarrassment of riches. He was not the only UCD man to score, as under-20 international Sam Coghlan-Murray managed a try as Leinster ran up the scoreboard against Leeds. Leinster completed the rout with seven tries in total, as they won 47-18.

Leinster will be looking to improve on their performance from last year, as they lost out to eventual winners Munster in the semi-final last year. Their group consists of Leeds Carnegie, Welsh side Pontypridd, and newcomers Jersey of the Channel Islands.

Matches will take place on the same weekends as those of the Heineken and Amlin Challenge Cups. Leinster will be away to Pontypridd on Saturday October 20th.

Basketball

UCD Marian produced a storming resurgence in the second half of their Nivea for Men’s Superleague game on Friday. Marian dug deep to come from 32-21 down at half-time to beat Dublin Inter 65-48 at the National Arena in Tallaght.

John Galvin led all scorers with 23 points for Marian, as they recorded their second win of the season. The win takes them to third in the league behind first place UL Eagles and second place UCC Demons after three games. Marian’s next game is on the October 20th against DCU Saints in the DCU complex.

By Matthew Morrow