Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

Gaelic Football
UCD continued their fine form in this year’s Dublin Senior Football Championship with a commanding win over Trinity Gaels at Parnell Park in the final group game. Gaels, like UCD, went into the match with a 100 per cent record but were overwhelmed by the Students’ speed and power, coming out on the wrong end of a 1-17 to 0-5 score line.

Louth star, Shane Lennon again impressed for UCD, helping himself to a personal haul of seven points, four of which were from dead balls. It was a stinging shot from Lennon, pounced upon by Cathal O’Dwyer that gave UCD the commanding first half lead as they went on to blow Gaels out of sight.

This now leaves College with a quarter-final clash with local rivals Kilmacud Crokes. This game is undoubtedly the tie of the round with the side having taken four of the previous six Dublin titles. Like UCD, Crokes have an unblemished record carrying over from the group stage, and David Billings’ men will take nothing for granted.

Soccer
Defensive stalwart, Alan Mahon, was presented by supporters with an award to commemorate his 250th game for the club on Friday night at the Bowl before the Students’ 1-0 victory over Drogheda. The presentation was in conjunction with fundraising by fans of UCD AFC to aid the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland. Emmet Ryan, who made the presentation to Mahon and fellow UCD man, John Craddock, will be running the New York City and Dublin Marathon’s in the coming weeks in aid of the fund.

Ladies Volleyball
The UCD Ladies’ Volleyball team began the season in the best possible fashion with an impressive victory at DCU in a prestigious pre-season tournament hosted by Ballymun VC. In doing so, the College side retained the trophy won last year and beat the Irish champions, AEL Lingus, in the semi-final before being victorious over Dublin VC in the final in five sets.

The men’s side were unfortunate not to also take silver-wear at the same event, but were runners up in the final of the Plate competition, with a devastating 16-14 defeat to rivals Trinity, after a tiebreaker.

Men’s Basketball
UCD Marian were awarded a victory in unusual circumstances in Tralee on Saturday night. The game was abandoned with five minutes to go in the final quarter due to safety concerns over condensation which was making the surface excessively slippy.

Marian had been sixteen points down in the final quarter but had come storming back to within three points when the decision was made to cancel the game and award the win to the visitors.

New signing, Mike Parker, was impressive for UCD, while Dave Ryan top-scored. The Tralee Tigers were without Kerry Senior Football duo Kieran Donaghy and Michael Quirke who missed out due to club football commitments.

Despite the circumstances, Marian are now in good stead for their next tie, a home clash with Killester.