Sports Digest

A round up of UCD’s sporting achievements

Sailing

UCD will represent Ireland at the 32nd Student Yachting World Cup in La Rochelle, France for the first time in 10 years at the end of October. The UCD students earned the right to represent Ireland having won the Irish Student Yachting National Championships in Dún Laoghaire in March.

The team is comprised of 10 UCD sailing students: Aidan McLaverty (Skipper), Barry McCartin (Tactician), Cathal Leigh Doyle (Headsail Trim, Captain), Isabella Morehead (Headsail Trim), Simon Doran (Mainsail Trim), Alyson Rumball (Pit), Theo Murphy (Mastman), David Fitzgerald (Bowman), Ben Fusco (Shore Team) and Ellen Cahill (Shore Team)

Football: UCD AFC midfielder Paul O’Connor is in with a chance of being on the cover of a special edition of FIFA ‘13. The latest version of the popular FIFA football video game series will have a downloadable cover that will feature two League of Ireland players on either side of the three time FIFA Ballon D’Or winner, Lionel Messi.

EA Sports and extratime.ie are to create the special cover and the winners will be picked by a poll on extratime.ie/poll. Every League of Ireland team has a representative in the poll. The winners will be announced on Wednesday September 26th and the cover will be available to download from the September 28th onwards.

Rowing

UCD student Claire Lambe won silver in the LW1x race in the World University Rowing Championships in Russia. The silver medal in the WUC comes on the back of strong showings in both the Under-23 World Championships, where she came fourth, and in the Senior World Championships, where she finished in 11th place.

Lambe was quick to thank both UCD and Old Collegians Boat Club for financially supporting her trip to Kazan in Russia after Rowing Ireland failed to back the competitors.

Modern Pentathlon

UCD Olympian Arthur Lanigan-O’Keeffe won bronze in the World Junior Championships in Drzonkow, Poland. In doing this, Lanigan-O’Keeffe earned Ireland’s first ever medal in a major international event in the sport.

The 21 year-old was ahead going in to the final round, having established a twelve second lead through the fencing, swimming and riding rounds. Despite this, he could not hold the lead in the combined run and shoot event, but still left Poland with a well-deserved medal.