Sports Digest

Football

UCD AFC claimed their third Collingwood Cup in four years after they saw off NUI Maynooth with extra time in the quarter final and the Royal College of Surgeons in the semi final, en-route to last Thursday’s final, in which they beat Mary Immaculate. Niall Hanley scored the only goal of the game early in the first half, with an unstoppable header from close range.

Kayaking

UCD Canoe Club achieved its best result in recent memory at the 2012 Kayaking Varsities, held in Castlebar last weekend. A total of sixteen medals was good enough to see UCD finish second overall, with Rachel Molloy winning gold for her performance in the women’s grand prix.

Lacrosse

UCD will have a strong representation at this summer’s European Lacrosse Championship in Amsterdam. The Irish women’s team will include six current UCD students: Rachel Blake, Amy Clarkin, Meabh Kavanagh, Aisling Casey, Orla McCourt and Maria Sheehy, as well as UCD coach Katelin Billups. UCD will have one current student, Cillian Murphy, as well as eight graduates in the men’s team.

Hurling

A strong first half wasn’t enough for UCD to see off the challenge of UCC in the Fitzgibbon Cup in Cork. UCD will not be involved in the finals weekend after UCC overturned a 2-8 to 0-13 deficit to win comfortably by 1-23 to 2-13. The last twenty-seven minutes of the game saw UCC dominate, scoring 1-10 to UCD’s disappointing 0-3, as the host’s half-back line took over.

Sailing

The Irish University Sailing Association (IUSA) Sailing Intervarsity National Championships took place in Westport, Co. Mayo across four days from the 15th-19th February. UCD came out on top in both the Silver and Bronze fleets. UCD 5 beat NUI Galway 2 2-0 in the Bronze final, while UCD 3  beat NUI Galway 1 in the Silver final by the same score.

The Gold Fleet Finals had to be postponed due to dangerous conditions. They will now race on March 31, the same day as the Colours head-to-head between UCD and Trinity in Dún Laoghaire. UCD 1 (Simon Doran and Aoife Cooney, Barry McCartin and Eimear McIvor, Aidan McLaverty and Bella Morehead) will face UCC 2, while UCD 2 (Michael Harrington and Ciara Browne, David Fitzgerald and Zoe Flood, Alyson Rumball and Caitriona Ni Mhurchu) will take on UCC 1 in the quarter finals.