Sports Digest

Athletics

UCD’s Ciara Everard showed up with the performance of her life on February 4th at the IUAA Irish Inter-Varsity Championships in Nenagh. Everard broke the Irish Under-23 800m indoor record of 2.05.90, previously held by Sonia O’ Sullivan who set it in Boston and held the record for twenty-two years. The physiotherapist student knocked .14 of a second off the mark, running an impressive 2.05.76. Everard was competing in her first race of the year, making the record all the more remarkable.

Sailing

UCD’s Sailing Club travelled to south-west Cork last weekend for the Irish University Sailing Association Southern Championships. The weekend-long event was the third of five college team racing events held in the University of Limerick this year, but was also the last before the all-important IUSA Intervarsity Championships. At around 1.45pm, it was declared that there was enough breeze to start racing. UCD 1 scored two wins from two, while UCD 2 started poorly but then managed to improve, and UCD 3 scored three wins from four. After Saturday and Sunday’s races were completed, the final results from the overall competition were excellent for UCD, with UCD 1 placing 2nd in the Gold Fleet and Silver Fleet, with UCD 2 coming 3rd, and UCD 3 placing 4th.

Handball

The first weekend of February served up the college term’s most high profile GAA Handball intervarsity. UCD’s No. 2 ranked player, Martian Mulkerrins, impressed throughout, eventually reaching the Open Final. Mulkerrins powered past NUIG’s Niall Malone in a tough encounter, and was then set to meet the top tournament seed and fellow UCD man, Diarmaid Nash, in the semi-final. Nash raced in with an 11-2 lead in the first game but Mulkerrins showed his speed and ability around the court to level the match. A spectacular comeback in the first game was followed by a more evenly matched affair in the second. Mulkerrins came through this encounter on a score line of 21-17, 21-13. Mulkerrins’ long route to the final seemed to fatigue him and he narrowly lost to LIT’s Seamus O’Carroll, the 2010 champion, in the final. In the end O’Carroll took the title 11-5.

Water Polo

The Irish Universities Swimming and Water Polo Association hosted the annual Water Polo Intervarsities last weekend at the University of Galway. UCD’s Men and Women’s teams won the Novice intervarsity in November, giving them high hopes for the tournament. The UCD Women’s squad progressed smoothly throughout the group stages and beat Queen’s University to gain a place in the final against the tough opposition of DIT. In a tight contest, DIT came out on top with a 13-12 victory. The UCD Men’s squad reached the semi-finals of the tournament. NUIG proved to be too much for the UCD players, as their Galway opponents would eventually go on to win the tournament. After the success of both squads, UCD water polo players will be waiting anxiously to hear the announcement of the Irish Universities water polo squad for the 2012 Celtic Nations, to be hosted in Edinburgh at the beginning of May.