Sports Digest

Basketball

UCD Marian were beaten by UL Eagles at the University Arena in Limerick on Saturday 21 January with a final score line of 75-68 in the Men’s Superleague.

UCD started well and led at the end of the first quarter 10-18, but the home side fought back and were ahead 34-29 by the end of the first half. The third quarter belonged to UCD, who led by seven with a quarter to go. In the final ten minutes, the Eagles upped their tempo and two big three’s by Scott Kinevane set them on their way. With the UCD team down a man due to team fouls, the Eagles were able to keep the score board ticking and went on to win by seven.

UCD Marian had solid performances across their team with the scoring led by Donie Stith (15), Conor Meaney (15) and Kevin Foley (14). UL Eagles were ultimately the better team, with the scoring led by Robert Taylor (21), Scott Kinnevane (14) and Neil Campbell (12).

Soccer

Paul Corry has signed on for another year with UCD AFC. The UCD academy product had been linked to clubs outside the college since the 2011 season ended, but has committed himself to the Belfield club for another season. The twenty-one-year old midfielder has represented Ireland at underage levels, including a home based Under 23 Ireland squad, and is continuing his degree in Commerce as he plays for the college. Over the last three seasons, Corry has played fifty-nine times for the Students, scoring six goals. The close of the season has seen speculation linking him with a move away from Belfield but Corry has chosen to stay with the Students as he continues his final year of studies.

GAA

The recipients of the Grant Thornton were Kildare’s Peter Kelly, Masters student, UCD Sigerson Captain and GAA All-Star in 2010; Donie Kingston, third year Arts student playing U21 and Senior Football for Laois, and Galway’s Colin Forde, fourth year Physiotherapy student and All-Ireland U21 Captain. The Cadbury Football scholarships were also announced last week, with Wicklow’s Aaron Murphy and Westmeath’s Cormac Boyle the two UCD recipients.

Meanwhile, UCD GAA hosted a free symposium on Player Wellbeing in UCD’s Health Science Building on Wednesday night. The symposium attracted a huge crowd from all sports as the guest speakers discussed areas relevant to all athletes competing in sport, including alcohol, nutrition, and injury.