Sports Digest

Rugby

The UCD Under-21 team retained the Conroy Cup, racking up seventy-seven points over three matches and not conceding any scores in the process. They overcame University College Cork 22-0, then beating University Queens’s 33-0, before finally seeing off local rivals Trinity College 20-0. It is the fourth successive year that UCD have won the competition, this year held in Belfast.

Soccer

UCD AFC beat TEK United 3-2 in the Leinster Senior League Division 1. Goals from Brian O’Brolchain, Eoin Roche and Kieran Harte secured the Students a narrow win over TEK. UCD lost James Timmons after he received a blow to the head and needed to be replaced by John Burke. Nevertheless, UCD went on to their fourth unbeaten game in a row.

UCD AFC’s Senior team recently held their annual Player of the Year awards. UCD Keeper Ger Barron received the Player of the Year Award after a season of tremendous goal saving and all-round defensive organisation. The New Player of the Year Award went to Darren Meenan for his threatening runs on the wing, as well as high quality goals. The next award was arguably the most competitive as it went to the Young Player of the Year. Defender David O’Connor pipped midfielder Paul Corry to the award.

Hockey

The UCD Women’s Hockey team upset reigning champions Pegasus on Saturday, November 5th, with a 4-3 victory in Dublin. It was the champions’ first defeat of the season, in an exciting game where Pegasus came back from 3-1 down to level the game, before a goal from Anna Flanagan won the game for the Belfield outfit. UCD’s goals came from Nichola Gray, Leah Ewart, Jamie Deacon and Anna O’Flanagan.