Sports Digest

Volleyball

UCD’s Premier Men’s Volleyball team came close to inflicting revenge on local rivals Ballymun Patriots in a thrilling five-set encounter at the UCD Sports Centre on Sunday, October 23rd. After starting the season with two wins, including an emphatic win away to current champions Munster Thunder, UCD were hoping to continue their unbeaten run against last year’s cup champions. The match began with long rallies, courtesy of some fantastic defence on both sides. There was little to separate the sides but Ballymun drew first blood, winning the first and third set, with UCD claiming the second and fourth set. Momentum had swung in the home side’s favour in the fifth set tie-breaker, with some excellent jump-serving giving UCD a comfortable advantage at 8-4 at the change of ends. However, Ballymun fought back as they blocked and defended everything UCD threw at them. By the time UCD found a way to end their static play on one rotation, Ballymun had pulled away 13-9 and took the tie break, 15-9.

Sailing

UCD Sailing Club made the journey to the Dingle Sailing Club, Kerry for the Irish University Sailing Association Western Championships which took place from the 15-16th October. The weekend event was the first of five college team racing events of the year, sailed in two-man Firefly dinghies. The gentle breeze and strong spring tides on the first morning led to some challenging conditions. All College 1st teams were in Gold fleet, 2nd teams in Silver, with all others in Bronze. After an inconsistent start, UCD 1 (the first team) scored three wins from five races, while in the silver fleet, UCD 2 had a perfect day, winning all their races and securing a place in Gold fleet for Sunday. UCD 3 had a good day in Bronze, qualifying for the Bronze semi-finals, while UCD 4 and 5 just missed out. On the Sunday, knock-out sailing began with UCD 2 just losing out to UL in a close quarter-final, before UCD 1 breezed into their semi-final.  UCD 1 failed to qualify for the final after a ‘best of three’ race, but recovered to win the third/fourth place sail-off.

Soccer

UCD AFC came from behind to fire five goals past IT Tallaght in Belfield on Tuesday in the latest round of fixtures in the Colleges and Universities Football League. In windy conditions, UCD fell behind following a mix-up at the back, but went on to record their second win of the competition, after goals from Paul Corry (2), Robbie Murray, Tyrone McNelis and Sean Buckley.

Cricket

UCD Cricket has announced the return of the Indoor Super League (ISL) which will run throughout the winter at the indoor hall in St. Mary’s, Rathmines. The competition will begin on Friday 4th November, when Merville Magic will be hoping to repeat their win in last year’s inaugural competition. The ISL will build up to the Indoor Intervarsities, which will take place next year.