Sports Digest

A brief round-up of the latest UCD sports news

Women’s Hockey

UCD’s women’s team have continued their excellent league form, securing victory over Loreto in Division 1, with Ireland Under-19’s football captain, Dora Gorman, getting on the scoresheet. UCD were able to replicate this display against Cork Harlequins in the first round of the Irish Senior Cup, putting four goals past ‘Quins, with Chloe Watkins, Deirdre Duke, Anna O’Flanagan and Nicola Gray all scoring.  They will face a stiffer challenge in Round Two as they were drawn against Munster Champions, Catholic Institute. UCD were then away to Armagh on Saturday, and in a game which they dominated, came out with a 3-0 win. Deirdre Duke scored the opening goal in the twenty-third minute, but UCD spurned several opportunities in the opening two quarters, as they went in only 1-0 up. Goals from Leah Ewart and Hanna de Burgh White, in the third and fourth quarter respectively, both came from short corners, ensuring another league victory.

Men’s Hockey

UCD men’s hockey team finally got their season under way against YMCA in the league, stuttering to a 3-0 defeat, followed by a 2-1 defeat against Monkstown. UCD left their poor league form behind them in a much stronger performance in a 5-1 demolition of Bandon however, where Patrick Shanahan scored against his old team and Shane O’Donoghue grabbed two goals. UCD now progress to the second round, where they will face tough opposition in Glenanne.

G.A.A.

UCD student and captain of the Dublin Under-21 hurling team, Liam Rushe, has been nominated for the 2011 GAA GPA Young Hurler of the Year. This follows a tremendous year for Dublin hurling across all levels, with Rushe captaining the Under-21 side to the All-Ireland Final where they lost to Galway. He will be up against Declan Hannon of Limerick and Pauric Mahony of Waterford. The awards are handed out at the banquet event in the Convention Centre on the 21st October.

Rugby

This year’s Australia 1984 Rugby Scholarships recipients were David Lynch, recipient of the Eddie Thornton Scholarship, Danny Kenny, recipient of the Finbarr Costello Scholarship, and Kieron Moloney, recipient of the Adrian Burke Scholarship. These scholarships are awarded annually to elite undergraduate or postgraduate players who will play an influential role in the UCD RFC First Team Squad. The Australia 1984 Scholarship Fund was established in 2009 and honours the contributions and continuous involvement of three UCD RFC alumni to rugby in UCD; Finbar Costello, Adrian Burke and Ned Thornton. These scholarships are named after the UCD RFC First XV of 1984/85, who toured Australia and were the last UCD RFC team to have made an appearance in the Leinster Senior Cup final since 2010. The selectors of the rugby scholarships include two members of the 1984 team, Bobby Byrne and Declan Gardiner. The scholarships were made possible through the contribution of John Gardiner, captain of the 1984/85 team.