Sports Digest

Lacrosse

The UCD men’s Lacrosse team will take part in the European Championships in Hamburg on the 23rd and 24th of October. The culmination of two seasons of intense competition, which included strong wins over NUI Galway and Trinity College Dublin by the UCD team, means that they are eligible to contend for the competition. It comes off the back of the men’s team claiming back-to-back league titles in the last two years.  An experienced squad of current UCD students and alumni, led by their impressive captain Aidan Marshall, puts the team in a good position entering the tournament.

Women’s soccer

UCD graduate and former UCD Women’s Soccer Club Captain, Louise Quinn, captained Peamount FC out against Paris Saint-Germain in Tallaght Stadium last Wednesday in the knock-out stages of the Women’s Champions League. This is the first time an Irish women’s team has qualified for the latter stages of the Champions League. Peamount lost 2-0, after goals in the last quater of the game from Nora Coton-Pelagie and Cindy Thomas. Peamount play PSG in the return leg in Paris on Wednesday.

Two UCD EAA scholarship players, Ciara Grant and Dora Gorman, represented Ireland at the U-19 UEFA Women’s Championships in Portugal. The team was captained by Gorman, who scored twice in the tournament, while Grant also grabbed a goal in the 6-0 demolition of Hungary. The team now move into the second qualifying round, the draw for which takes place on November 15th.

Basketball

The National Basketball League begins again on October 2nd. A busy pre-season schedule for UCD Marian included eleven wins and only one loss, and also saw the team win the Stu Robbins Memorial competition. UCD have added to their cup-winning side with several off-season signings. After two seasons in Belfast, former scholarship holders Barry Drumm and Kevin Foley return to the club, the latter being the top Irish scorer in the league last year. The Meany brothers’ influence on the team has increased, as captain Niall and point guard Conor are rejoined by their eldest brother Kevin, who returns after a five year Superleague break. Along with the returning players, Brendain O’Riain has joined up with the squad after earning a scholarship. UCD Marian has also signed Donnie Stith, a 6’9 forward who played professionally in Tulane for the last three years. Stith is an explosive talent and should be one to watch out for this season.

Gaelic Games

Current UCD students Rory O’Carroll, Cian O’Sullivan and Michael Fitzsimons formed the full back line for Dublin’s All-Ireland Senior Football championship win against Kerry. Other UCD graduates for Dublin included Alan Brogan, Michael Dara McAuley and Barry Cahill.