Sports Digest

Ultimate Frisbee

The University’s Ultimate Frisbee team finished in second place in last week’s inter-varsity championship, losing out in the final to a strong UCC side. While they were disappointed not to take gold after a terrific campaign, their runner-up finish was an improvement on last year’s tournament, where they finished in third.

After two trouble-free opening ties against Queens Belfast and NUIG resulting in 15-2 wins for UCD, the Students were confident going into a tough encounter against UCC. Unfortunately, this confidence was soon quashed when the men from Cork eased to a 3-12 win and limited UCD to runners-up of Group A.

They met the University of Limerick at the quarter-final stage and they proved to be worthy opponents. Despite winning 11-8, UCD were under constant pressure from UL and their overall performance did little for the team’s confidence. They were reassured, however, by a strong semi-final performance against DCU, which booked them a spot in the final along with UCC who had convincingly beaten Trinity by 13-1 in their semi-final.

Unfortunately for UCD they were outplayed and outclassed by UCC in the final and, after a dismal 0-9 start, could only muster a 6-13 defeat. In their first final in four years, a runner-up medal for UCD can be considered a positive tournament and the team will no doubt build on their success.

Trampoline

The UCD Trampoline Club obtained thirteen medals over six different categories in the Irish Student Trampoline Open (ISTO) this year.  Both teams and individuals from UCD had strong performances, with Team A obtaining a gold medal in the competition.

In the individual categories, gold went to Maeve O’Callaghan at both Intervanced level and in the Intermediate Synchro competition alongside Clara Maria Deeney who also got gold. Pauric Dooley achieved a silver medal in the Elite Men competition, while Sinead O’Loughlin and Siobhan Walsh won bronze in the Advanced Synchro competition.

The competition, which took place in DCU this year, is one of the biggest student trampoline events in Europe and consists of 550 competitors representing 37 different universities from Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales. The year marks the end of a fruitful season for the club, who have achieved success in the Scottish Open, Varsities and Colours competitions over the last year.

Sailing

The UCD sailing club recently sent two teams to the prestigious ISAF Team World Championship qualifiers invitational. Their opposition was the University of Limerick, George Gladiators and Supertroopers. Both UCD teams came very close to earning a spot in the finals, but unfortunately missed out on qualification after coming agonisingly close.

– Ryan Mackenzie