Sports Digest

with Fearghal Kerin.

GAELIC FOOTBALL
The UCD Senior Football side currently sit atop Group Six of the Championship with two wins from two and a game in hand on their closest rivals, Fingal Gaels. A commanding victory over winless Naomh Bearóg by a massive 1-16 to 0-6 margin was largely thanks to the scoring prowess of Louth Senior footballer Shane Lennon 1-7 who punished the home side after they were reduced to 14 men. Second half substitute Tommy Warburton also helped himself to a personal tally of 0-3.

This leaves UCD in pole position in the group, with their next fixture against Trinity Gaels the next step as they look to secure qualification to the quarter finals in their bid to emulate the Championship victory of 2006.

LACROSSE
UCD were well represented at this month’s European Championships, held in Finland. The Irish side finished a creditable fourth in the Ladies’ contest. After topping their Group in devastating fashion, including an annihilation of Finland that included a hat-trick from UCD stalwart, Pamela Smithwick, Ireland were disappointing in their defeat to Scotland that left the Ladies’ side out of competition, which included three current UCD stars.

The men’s side were even better represented with UCD players, with nine of the Irish team based in Belfield, including a lecturer. After finishing second in their Group, narrow defeats against Germany and the Netherlands placed the Irish side in sixth. However, with a little more luck Ireland could have easily finished amongst the very élite.

UNDER 21 HURLING
Kilkenny’s domination of national hurling this month would not have been possible without the vast number of current UCD students that made up their successful Under 21 outfit. A 2-13 to 0-15 victory over a strong Tipperary outfit in the Croke Park decider comprised one part of the Cats’ treble, and included Fitzgibbon Cup stars Eoin Shea, Neal Prendergast, David Langton, Liam Ryan, Keith Hogan and David Lyng.

RUGBY
UCD RFC secured qualification from their group in the Leinster Senior Club Cup with a mesmerising comeback against Greystones in Wicklow. A good start with an early try through Ireland Under 20 international Ben Barclay was undone as Greystones stormed into a 24-14 lead with just 20 minutes left in the game, and an upset looking likely.

However, a series of late tries, including two from powerhouse winger, Vasily Artemiev, gave UCD what had minutes earlier seemed an unlikely score-line of 41-24.

The victory means UCD advance to the semi-final against rivals Lansdowne. College will be hungry for revenge after Lansdowne convincing victory at the Belfield Bowl in the Group stage as the quest for Senior Cup glory continues.

CAMOGIE
UCD duo, Aoife Murray and Rena Buckley, were among the medal winners as Cork retained their All Ireland Senior Camogie title with a victory over a Galway side that included another UCD student Therese Manton. While Buckley has long been a star of the sport, it was Murray’s contribution that was key to the victory, with a string of fine saves, including a stunning injury time block that saved the Rebellettes title ambitions.