Sports Digest

Ultimate Frisbee Lacrosse

The UCD Ultimate Frisbee team won their first tournament for some time last week in Maynooth. With rivals Trinity and UCC competing in UK Nationals, it was vital the team put in a solid performance and boost morale before the upcoming Intervarsities – which take place in DCU at the beginning of April.

Boasting eight former U-20s Irish players and four current Senior Irish players, the Students had every right to be confident of a successful campaign, which saw them take on teams from NUI Galway and Maynooth, UL, Queens University Belfast and home side DCU.

The opening day of the tournament was Saturday, which saw the bulk of the action. First up for UCD were the team from NUIG, whom they overcame quite easily by a scoreline of 15-11 – the Galway total was somewhat inflated by poor UCD defence. The Students placed greater emphasis on their defence in the next game, which saw them overcome a tough DCU side by a scoreline of 15-8. They went on to beat UL by the same scoreline and also surpassed Queens in their most difficult contest of the day by only 13-10.

Sunday saw UCD once again play NUIG, who performed the shock of the tournament by beating DCU to book their place in the final. UCD had little trouble in dismissing their opponents, however, running out 15-10 winners to cap off a successful weekend. A solid tournament was paramount for the team heading into the biggest tournament of the year and the talented young team will be boosted by their success as they look to take on the favourites from Trinity and UCC.

Lacrosse

The university’s men’s Lacrosse team are on course to complete an astonishing unbeaten league season. If they achieve this, it will be the first time in the league’s history and will also give UCD its second consecutive title. Their last two matches are against Trinity and Dublin Lacrosse in UCD on April 2nd. Team captain, Aiden Marshall, in a recent interview with Keith Kane, expressed his optimism and subtle confidence at securing the coveted unbeaten season saying: “This is the finest team I’ve played with. If we are ever going to do it, it’s going to be this year.”

Their next big test after the end of the league season is the Dublin-fest tournament, which takes place from April 11th to 15th. A number of teams will travel over from the UK and across Europe, making it a highly competitive competition. The Students will be hoping to make it an impressive three titles in a row, all the while looking ahead to the upcoming national trials.

Ladies Hockey

This season has been another successful one for the university’s Ladies Hockey team, who currently sit in second place of their league pool. They are behind a Railway Union side that hold first place due to a slightly better goal difference. A recent draw to Armagh was a minor blip on what has been a great run of results. A couple of 3-0 wins over Ards Hockey Club and Cork Harlequins respectively helped the Students earn their high league position and no doubt boosted their moral for the Irish Senior Cup.

The team beat Cork Harlequins 3-2 in Belfield last month. An extra-time golden-goal was needed to settle the tie and fortunately for the Students and Caroline Hill was on hand to net the winner and sent them into the semi-final. Their opponents will be either Pegasus or Lurgan, who face off in Queens on Saturday. Pegasus are favourites to make it to the next round and, should they play to their potential, UCD will have a difficult task on their hands. The team will be looking for their second title in three years, having won the competition two years ago, when the semi-final rolls around on April 16th.

Snooker

The UCD Pool and Snooker club is hosting an exhibition game between Ken Doherty and Jimmy White in the Astra Hall next Monday. The best players on campus will get their chance to face off against the legends and tickets are available for €10.