Sports Digest 19-02-2013

Canoeing:

For the second year in a row, UCD Canoe Club is among the top three college canoe clubs in Ireland after finishing in third place at the 2013 Kayaking Varsities. UCD missed out on the semi-finals of the polo tournament, after they lost to eventual winners NUI Maynooth, having previously shown strong performances in defeats UCC and Shackleton.

In the white water event, UCD recorded a 14/16 in overall gate rounding. The overall score was based on a series of individual time trials, with UCD’s team score providing them with a fourth place finish. In the long distance event, UCD’s six best competitors combined for a third place team finish.

The UCD team finished fifth in the freestyle competition, having entered one competitor in the men’s category and three in the women’s. The contest combined flat water freestyle moves with downstream freestyle and featured over forty competitors.

Soccer:

UCD defeated Trinity College Dublin 3-0 in the final of the Harding Cup at the University of Ulster, Coleraine on Sunday February 10th. UCD had dominated UL  5-1 and also saw off NUI Galway 1-0 to reach the final. Trinity, meanwhile, needed extra time to overcome UCC 1-0 and then squeezed past hosts UU Coleraine 3-2 in their semi-final.

The first half of the final was a cagey affair, as chances remained limited, yet UCD appeared more comfortable and held an advantage in possession. It took 75 minutes for the deadlock to be broken after a long ball was played from Stephen Moran to Colin Jones, who struck home from the edge of the box.

Eoin Monaghan capitalised on a failed clearance with a calm low strike resulting in a second goal mere minutes after the first. Monaghan later aided Marcos Byrne to set up for an oncoming Colin Jones, resulting in a 3-0 sweep for UCD. The win means that UCD have won eight of the last 13 Harding Cups.

Boxing:

UCD Boxing Club defeated the Dublin University (Trinity) Boxing Club 7-4, winning the Fred Tiedt Colours trophy for the third year in a row. Of the seven wins, three were recorded by female competitors, giving UCD a 100% winning record in the female side of the competition.

The team was made up of Gráinne Whelehan, Chloe Brown, Katie Kavanagh, Sam Browett, Kevin Casey, Eoin Dunbar, Cillian Carroll. Carroll picked up the prize for boxer of the tournament after defeating Trinity captain Chris Bayliss.

Both Katie Kavanagh and Sam Browett were able to repeat their success over opponents they had previously faced in the Junior Inter-varsities. The team will now look forward to the IUABA Senior Inter-varsities, which will be held in UCD Astra Hall on February 23rd and 24th.

By Jack Walsh