Sports Digest

Pool

The University’s pool team recently competed in the Irish intervarsities in the Fairways Hotel in Dundalk. The club’s A team saw off sides from Dundalk IT, NCI and NUIG en route to the final, where they were met by a tough Queens team from Belfast. Unfortunately, UCD were beaten and had to be content with second place in the premier teams competition.

However, despite the disappointment of their loss in the team competition, club captain Steven O’Reilly and teammate Micheal Curley stood out and impressed Ireland’s international selectors to earn a place on the national side. They will be on the panel for the upcoming Student Eight-Ball Pool Home Internationals. The pair were magnificent in both the team and individual competitions and will be an integral part of the Irish team when they make the trip to Belfast in mid-April to take on the best from Britain.

Sailing

The UCD Boat Club will be competing in the country’s sailing intervarsities this month. The competition will see 24 teams, comprised of 150 participants, compete in races consisting of six teams going head to head. The competition format is rather complicated, however. The goal is to earn a winning combination at the end of the race, which requires the final positions of three boats to add up to or less than ten – i.e. 1,4,5.

The reigning champions are the University of Limerick, who had retained their title from the previous year. However, UCD are the in-form team. The Students finished as the top university at the last two meets at Clifden and Carlingford, and will hope to maintain their fine form in order to dethrone UL.

– Ryan Mackenzie