Sports digest 16-04-2013

Football:

UCD AFC remain without a win this season after they fell to a 1-0 defeat to St. Patrick’s Athletic last Friday night in the Belfield Bowl. Anthony Flood scored the only goal of the game two minutes into stoppage time of the first half, five minutes after James Kavanagh was sent off for his second yellow card in four minutes.

Flood thought he had given the visitors the lead after 21 minutes, but instead he was booked for using his hand to get the ball into the net. The Students were unable to pull back an equaliser, and could well have lost by more.

The loss leaves UCD with only one point from their opening eight games. The Students have been unable to continue their good finish to the end of last season into 2013. For their next game, UCD travel to Hunky Dorys Park to take on Drogheda United on Friday 19th, kick-off is at 7.45pm.

Meanwhile, UCD scholarship student Eric Barber has been snapped up by Swedish Fourth Division side Ytterhogdal IK. Barber was a member of UCD’s Leinster Senior team and is a final year economics student.

Sailing

The University of Limerick played host to Irish University Sailing Association (IUSA) Sailing Intervarsity National Championships last month, although the event actually took place in Tralee, Co. Kerry. UCD went to the championships as defending champions, although they could not replicate their success of last year.

The hosts, UL, took home the trophy after beating UCD in a best of five final. UL ran out to a 2-0 lead, but UCD looked to have pulled level at 2-2, only for an infringement to hand the trophy to UL by a score of 3-1. The Silver Fleet was won by UCC, while Queen’s University Belfast came out on top of the Bronze Fleet.

But UCD did not leave empty-handed, as they claimed their fourth consecutive colours title over Trinity College Dublin. The colours races had been postponed due to poor weather. UCD now look forward to defending their title at the Student Yachting World Championships in France. As defending champions, UCD qualify automatically, while the rest of the Irish qualifying is ongoing.

Lacrosse:

The UCD men’s lacrosse team thrashed the Dublin Bay Prawns by a score of 10-2 to secure the Irish Lacrosse League title last Saturday. The impressive win for the men’s team adds to an already successful season for the club.

At the start of the month, UCD Lacrosse took the Dublinfest Mixed Lacrosse Tournament trophy back to Belfield. While, back in March, the women’s team were victorious in Italy as they won the VI Roma Leones Tournament, while the men’s team were unable to replicate the feat of the women, as they narrowly lost to Roma by a single goal.

By Kevin Beirne