Sports Digest

HOCKEY

The UCD Ladies Hockey team secured the Chilean Cup during the October bank holiday weekend. UCD won the intervarsity tournament by defeating last year’s champions the University of Ulster 2-0 in the final, having overcome UCC in the previous round. The team are currently joint top of the Division One Leinster League and are currently in preparation for their upcoming cup clash with old rivals Trinity.

GOLF

The annual match between UCD and Iona College, NY, occurred early last month. The match took place over the course of three days. This year, the locations of choice were Winged Foot, Cherry Valley and Sleepy Hollow, respectively.

Following the opening two days of action, UCD led their American opponents by the slightest of margins, holding a 4.5 – 3.5 lead. In the subsequent 24 hours, wins from Colum Kenny, Richie Maher and Stephen Walsh in the singles ensured that captain Gerry Kelly was able to acquire the final point, confirming UCD’s triumph by a score of 9 – 7.

FENCING

The UCD Fencing Club garnered medals in each discipline in which they competed in the West of Ireland Open recently. NUIG were this year’s hosts, and all fencers who had been permitted an Irish Fencing Federation license were eligible to enter the competition.

The weekend got off to an excellent start. UCD Captain John Wyatt came second in Men’s Foil, while Treasurer Shona Carey also secured silverware, following her third-place finish in the Women’s Sabre.

UCD’s fencers were similarly successful on the final day of the event, with Modern Pentathlon Scholar Arthur Lanigan-O’Keeffe triumphing in Men’s Epée. In addition, Joana Ramalho also performed with distinction as she placed second in Women’s Foil. Finally, UCD Alumnus and ex-captain Stephen Concannon capped off a fruitful weekend for the college by winning the Men’s Sabre.

– Stephen Devine