Sports Digest

Gaelic Games: UCD defeated St. Peregrine’s in the Dublin SFC at O’Toole Park with a score of 2-13 to 0-6 to advance to a quarter-final meeting with St. Brigid’s this weekend. John Heslin and Ciaran Kelly lead the scoring with 2-3 and 0-6 respectively.  Under 21 Westmeath native, Heslin, was particularly impressive for UCD with a storming midfield performance.

Rowing: UCD’s team of Tom Doyle, Finbar Manning, Colum Pierce, Jennie Lynch and Dave Neale claimed a historic Prince Albert Challenge Cup at the Henley Regatta. UCD defeated Cambridge and Harvard University on course to the final, where they capped off their success with an emphatic two lengths victory over Yale.

Athletics: UCD student Steven Colvert was a late qualifier in the 200m for the European Athletics Championships in Barcelona. Colvert qualified with a lifetime best of 20.90s in the Belgian Championships. Nineteen-year-old Colvert finished seventh in his heat in a time of 21.14s.

Sailing: UCD Sailing Club member, Annalise Murphy, recently won the Laser Radial National Championships in Belfast. Murphy dominated the event winning four of her eight races. Murphy is a prominent figure in Irish sailing and will have genuine chances of success in the 2012 Olympics in the United Kingdom

Basketball: UCD Marian’s men’s side start their season at home to UL Eagles on 2nd October. The most exciting addition to the squad is American collegian James Crowder, who joined the club from Pfeiffer University in North Carolina, USA, during the summer break. Crowder averaged fifteen points and eight rebounds a game during his time at Pfeiffer. Frank Ryan’s side will be looking to improve on a disappointing season last year.