Sports Digest

with Killian Woods

Mountain Running

The first confined college championships was held on the 800 metre course in Camaderry with athletes from UCD, DIT, IT Tallaght, NUI Galway, Trinity College, Queens Belfast University and Galway-Mayo IT all competing for honours.

UCD’s team consisting of Eoin Brady, Tim Grummell and Michael Hickey finished third overall in the competition with the team members finishing sixth, seventh and sixteenth respectively. Brady trailed DIT’s Eoin Pierce at the front for most of the race, but neither the UCD runner nor Pierce could sustain their pressure, as both were overtaken by eventual winner Gerard Butler.

Sailing

UCD Sailing Club had a successful time on a recent trip to Scotland as they won the Scottish University Championships, which was recently hosted by University of Strathclyde Sailing Club. The club made an impressive start to the tournament by winning all four races in the pool stage of the round robin competition.

UCD were pitted against SUSA Old Boys in their semi-final, where a series of dramatic events for the UCD team triggered by a gear failure led to a tight race. The team were granted a redress and despite further problems with the rudder, UCD went on to claim a 2-0 win over their Scottish opponents and win a place in the final against Edinburgh.

After their opponents had claimed victory in the Irish University Sailing Intervarsity last month, UCD had their work cut out in the final. However, continuing their good form in the competition, UCD overcame Edinburgh to claim the Scottish Champions title.

Squash

Following their success in the Colours competition against Trinity College last semester, UCD Squash Club emerged victorious in the annual Irish squash intervarsities, held over two days in Cork last weekend. The men’s A team (pictured L-R) of David Tighe, Dave Corbett, Stephen Meredith, Tariq Zaki and Ray Byrne overcame their counterparts from Trinity and UCC to claim the title for a third successive year.

The men’s B, C and D teams and UCD’s ladies team also put in strong performances in a series of matches against Trinity, UCC, DCU and RCSI.