Sports Digest

with Richard Chambers

Rowing:

The annual Colours Boat Race is scheduled to take place in Dublin on Saturday 6th March. Organisers have chosen a route from O’Connell Bridge to the Guinness Brewery at St James’ Gate in what promises to be a dramatic event for spectators. The universities will battle for supremacy across four disciplines: Women’s Novices, Women’s Seniors, Men’s Novices and the blue Riband event, the Men’s Seniors. The prestigious Gannon Cup, named in honour of Ciarán Gannon of UCD, awaits the victors of the Men’s Seniors race. UCD have dominated the competition in recent years and will be hoping to complete a historic three-in-a-row over their city centre rivals from Trinity College.

American Football:

UCD American Football will kick off their Irish American Football League season on 14th March in Belfield. Beginning their inaugural league campaign, UCD face the reigning champions, UL Vikings. Head Coach John Collins’ side face a difficult schedule, with an end-of-season return fixture against the Vikings following games against the veteran Cork Admirals and Carrickfergus Knights. The young UCD side will hope to make a positive impact following a successful season in the developmental league.

Handball:

UCD’s Hilary and Marianna Rushe and Declan Smith were triumphant at the World Collegiate Handball Championships in Phoenix, Arizona last weekend. Smith defeated UL’s John Fitzgerald in the Division 1 Intermediate final, while Hilary and Marianna Rushe overcame Missouri State in a tense women’s doubles final. Marianna was later imperious in the Ladies Division 1 final, defeating Bailey Chandler in two games to defend her crown.