Sports Digest

Soccer
UCD senior captain Ronan Finn has been named the Professional Footballers’ Association of Ireland (PFAI) Player of the Year for his outstanding form throughout the college team’s promotion and title-winning season. The award could not have gone to a more worthy player, as the influential midfielder was an ever-present performer in a UCD side that pivoted around the 21-year-old midfielder’s play.

Finn was also included in the PFAI First Division team of the year, along with defenders Evan McMillan and Brian Shorthall. These awards are the cherry on top for UCD’s title-winning players and a recognition from their fellow professionals of their creditable form throughout the season.

Tetrathlon
UCD won their third straight tetrathlon intervarsity title in Kells, Co. Meath, at an event hosted by Dublin City University. The competition is a rigorous test of stamina and endurance which entails competing in four different codes, namely running, shooting, swimming and horse riding.

The competition got under way with shooting, where UCD’s Luke McMullan and Britt Cassiday placed fourth and sixth respectively. The running event followed, with UCD representatives Philip Conway winning in the men’s division, and Kate Coleman second in the female category. Coleman continued her success when completing an impressive eleven lengths in three minutes, placing first in the women’s swimming event.

The final segment of the competition was showjumping, in which Thomas Hayes, Ed Flaherty and Luke McMullan all jumped clear rounds with Marie Léoutre also jumping clear in a good time. UCD pipped Trinity College to first place, as the first team of Luke McMullan, Kate Coleman, Thomas Downey and Sophie Dillon lifted the trophy.

Ladies’ Volleyball
University College Cork (UCC) hosted the 2009 All-Ireland Volleyball Intervarsities, with UCD’s ladies team suffering heartbreak in the final against the hosts. With a place at the EVA Student Cup in Leeds up for grabs, UCD battled their way to the final with wins over Cork IT, University of Ulster Jordanstown (UUJ) and UCC’s second team.

UCD’s impressive opening victories showed their intent in the competition, with the win against the strong Ulster outfit by 26-24 particularly striking. The two teams’ paths crossed twice en route to the final, as they faced off in the semi-finals where UCD won the tie-break break 15-6, paving the way to the final against UCC. Unfortunately UCD could not overcome the Cork side and for the second time of the weekend the Belfield side were overpowered by last year’s winners.

Squash
UCD Squash Club had a successful day at the annual Colours match against Trinity College on Saturday. The men’s team, comprised of Joe Breheny, Niall Hurley, Fergal Fields, Tariq Zaki and Danny McInerney, all won their respective games to secure a comprehensive 5-0 victory over Trinity and take home the Colours trophy for the second successive year. The ladies team, captained by Megan Oliver, was less fortunate, losing out to a strong performance from the Trinity ladies on the day.