Sports digest 03/04/2013

Football:

UCD AFC earned their first point from their opening five games of the Airtricity League season, following a 2-2 draw with Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds last Friday. Two goals from Dave McMillan, including one from the penalty spot, weren’t enough to see off the home side.

Bray took the lead after just four minutes after Jason Byrne slotted away following UCD’s failure to deal with a dangerous cross. It took fifteen minutes for the Students the respond, as Gary Burke controlled beautifully before crossing for McMillan to level the scores.

Just before half-time, Darren Quigley was sent off, leaving Bray without a goalkeeper since they had not brought one on their bench. Winger Daire Doyle took over the duties, but could not keep out McMillan’s penalty to give UCD the lead.

Despite being down to ten men, the hosts pulled a goal back with ten minutes left to earn a draw. UCD’s next game is away to Cork City on Friday at 7.45pm. UCD currently sit bottom of the table on goal-difference.

Orienteering

UCD men’s orienteering team won the intervarsities last week, in the National Park, Muckross, Killarney. The presence of deer in the lower regions of the park meant that the contest had to take place in the forested area surrounding Torc Mountain, in the south-east of the park.

UCD’s Colm Moran, a first year engineering student who took a year out between finishing secondary school and starting his degree in order to focus on orienteering, won the individual men’s competition in the highly impressive time of 70 minutes and 34 seconds.

Lawrence Quinn, first year computer science, came third overall, while Cillín Corbett, first year actuarial studies, just missed out on the podium as he finished in fourth. Overall, the future looks bright for UCD’s young orienteering team, with all three members still in their first year of studies.

Fencing

UCD’s fencing club took home the colours trophy for the first time since 2007 after they beat Dublin University fencing club last week by an incredibly tight margin of 26-25 bouts. The contest took place in Belfield last Wednesday.

UCD were victorious in the men’s epee by a score of 5-4, but the score line was reversed in the men’s sabre, as DUFC took the even by 5-4. It was in the men’s foil where UCD were able to create a bit of daylight between the two sides with a 5-3 win.

In the women’s contests, DUFC were on top with wins in the epee and foil by scores of 5-3 and 5-4 respectively. It was only through a 5-3 victory in the sabre that UCD were able to establish a one point lead that gave them their first colours title in six years.