Sport in Brief

with Fearghal Kerin.

Rowing
UCD won the overall prize but the day was slightly soured as Queen’s University won the Wylie Cup for men at an exciting University Championship of Ireland in Co Down. Trinity College Dublin, another powerhouse of the colleges rowing scene had their own success, winning the Bank of Ireland Cup for senior women. The Wylie Cup came down to the novice eight final which was won by the Belfast outfit by the narrowest of margins.

Queen’s had won the intermediate eight and UCD the senior eight, so Queen’s carried off the prize by virtue of taking two of the three eights contests. Trinity’s women came out on top after taking both the senior and intermediate eights.

Golf
The UCD team were defeated in the final of the team event at the Irish Colleges Golf Association League finale at the hands of the University of Ulster side who are undefeated all season. UCD had done well to reach the final against the Jordanstown men who had been favourites to take the title in light of their form up to this, and the burden of being expected to win did not effect the Northerners.

The final victory by 25 strokes summed up UUJ’s dominance of college golf this year, and the progress of their talented side will be interesting to note over the coming years.

Darts
UCD Student Simon Corcoran has continued his good form with a victory in the German Amateur Open in Stuttgart, without dropping a frame throughout the entire tournament. Corcoran is seen as Ireland’s top darts prospect, and should he continue upon his current trajectory is expected to feature in the forthcoming World Darts Championship at the Circus Tavern this Christmas.

Rugby
UCD Under 20s second side followed in the footsteps of their A team, by suffering defeat in the final of the JP Fanagan Pennant at the hands of Bective Rangers. The final was played at Donnybrook, and stout Bective defence allowed the home side to eventually take an 11- 8 victory. This was followed quickly by UCD’s disappointing exit at the hands of De la Salle Palmerstown in the quarter final of the Purcell Cup to deny them a chance for revenge against Bective. The A side meanwhile, are in the semi-final of the prestigious McCorry Cup having dispatched their Colours rivals Trinity in the quarter final to set up a tie with defeated All Ireland finalists Blackrock in the semis.

The victory, courtesy of a 14-5 score line, was earned after an excellent second half perhaps, while Trinity, in the absence of talismanic out half David Joyce who has starred for their AIL side consistently this season, had little answer to the Belfield sides power up front.