England v Ireland Legends

On the evening of Friday 26th February the inaugural Ireland Legends v England Legends match for the Stuart Mangan Memorial Cup is being held at The Stoop in Twickenham.

The Legends charity match, a fundraiser for paralysed rugby players, will provide the perfect opener to a great weekend of rugby with the Six Nations clash the following day.The Legends game will also see some of the big names of Irish and English rugby go head-to-head one more time – Ireland’s team will be led by Shane Byrne and will include Reggie Corrigan, Victor Costello, Maurice Field, John O’Neill, Justin Bishop, David Humphries and the evergreen Rob Henderson – a 2001 Lion, who is still playing club rugby.

England’s team will be led by former captain Martin Corry, and will include several members of the 2003 World Cup winning team. England’s most-capped player, Jason Leonard, will return to his former home ground, to take part. Other heroes of 2003 who are hoping to take part are Josh Lewsey, Paul Grayson and Mark Regan. They’ll be joined by other recent internationals like Tim Stimpson, Darren Garforth, Garath Archer, Phil Greening and Nick Greenstock.

The Legends game was conceived to raise money for Stuart Mangan, who was paralysed from the high neck down following a rugby accident whilst playing for Hammersmith & Fulham RFC in April 2008.  Stuart required 24-hour medical care for his every basic need and so The Stuart Mangan Appeal was launched to fundraise with patrons including Keith Wood, Ronan O’Gara and Jason Leonard.

Stuart passed away in August 2009 having contracted pneumonia, but his family have chosen for the match to go ahead in his memory and to raise necessary funds to support other injured players.  With this in mind, the beneficiary charities from the proceeds of the Legends game are Keith Wood’s Paralysed Rugby Players’ Fund, The Matt Hampson Trust and the IRFU Charitable Trust.  The England player Matt Hampson suffered a similar accident to Stuart whilst training with England U-21s and provided friendship and support to Stuart.  The Legends game is kindly sponsored by the Byrne Group and ValidusRe, so 100% of the funds raised will go to these deserving charities.

The charity is urging anyone travelling to London from Ireland for the Six Nations game on the Saturday to come over a day early and take in the Legends game on the friday evening and help to raise much needed funds for this most worthy cause.

Tickets can be purchased (£10 for adults and £5 for kids) by clicking on the link below, where you will also find information on the teams and Corporate Hospitality contacts.

www.englandirelandlegends.co.uk