Wish You Were Beer

Jake O’Brien pleads alcoholism, and invites you to join him with some more exotic beery offerings

Beer. Beer is not a foreign idea to most students. In fact, we could go one step further and suggest that it is indeed a universal concept. It is part of our downtime; it is part of our uptime. It seems that this fizzy liquid is an intricate part of nearly every aspect of our society. We drink it to stave away stress. We drink it to celebrate the lack of stress. We drink it to mourn. We drink it to escape. With these ideas in tow, is there any way we can escape from the escapism of beer?

Has it become so much a part of our everyday lives that even the foreign beers aren’t all that foreign anymore? Well, no, for the purposes of this article, I’m going to forget I wrote that last bit and just dive headfirst into the world of outsider beer.

As a recommendation for delving your body into this wretched world, check out Deveney’s Off License in Rathmines (opposite the Tesco and KFC). At the back of this retail outlet is a fridge full of ‘Out of Date’ wonders. It’s advertised, so it’s okay… I think…

okocimWith the highest kudos and praise, I refer you to Okocim, Blue Label. With a hefty percentage of 7.5 and a colour so dark it would make the BNP blush, Okocim will take you to a level of depravity and filth that you thought only existed in the terrifying world of Charles Bukowski. The beer’s flavour is rich and obscenely intrusive; add to this its bargain price of one euro a bottle (500ml) and you’ve got yourself a date with the floor of whatever venue you’re parading around. Stellar stuff indeed.

For the subtler, more delicate palate, why not give Tiger Beer a swing. A swing and a miss? No: it’s a lovely beer, reminiscent of life before student poverty and scrounging. It a little more pricey, but it won’t have you starting a fight with a door handle in the wee hours of the morning.

Tyskie is perhaps the benevolent middleman of this whole scenario. An ambiguous no-man’s land of beer, it combines the hearty pour of the stronger beers with the overt nobility of the lighter ones. This Polish offering comes out swinging. With a bat. At the nearest motor vehicle in sight.

Well, there you have it. Get them down your neck and give us the verdict. Failing these, pop down to O’Brien’s and pick up some of their one euro cans. Hollandia, Castlemaine… the list goes on, depending on stock. As a conclusion, I would suggest that those of you readers who don’t drink Guinness (a foreign concept perhaps) go out and get acquainted with it, or I’m personally coming after you.

Well, I’m off to try some more exotic brews and maybe, just maybe I’ll let you in on the secrets someday.