Webwatch: Lies, Damned Lies and the Internet

The internet is full of lies and very rarely tells the truth, writes Killian Woods

It is truly amazing how something so valuable to the world can be so full of lies. The internet has become the main reference point for most people regardless of what the subject is, and pollutes us with drivel, or 404 Error. In fact, it is mainly this constant drive for more drivel that brings people back to the internet.

Although some of the nonsense churned out can give a laugh or two:

1. Celebrity Deaths

It is just another Sunday afternoon. You are Justin Bieber and are just popping down to the local Centra to buy the Sunday Tribune when you casually decide to check your Twitter timeline. Suddenly, you are witness to a spate of “OMG! Can’t believe @justinbieber is dead,” or “@justinbieber choked and died eating yogurt! Good enough for him”. Many celebrities have fallen victim to the viral internet death syndrome and surprisingly enough, many live to tell the tale.

2. Y2K

One time, the internet threatened to kill us – all over something as fickle as the way we type the date. Y2K was to be the end of us all, but who successfully spread the rumour around? The internet. Sounds like a cheap bit of scaremongering in hindsight. Anyway, apart from some bus ticket validation machines in Australia going haywire and the master clock that keeps America’s official time reading Jan. 1, 19100, the internet again was clearly making a big deal over nothing.

3. 1,000,000th Visitor

You click on a link and the internet happily guides you through the web space highway to your desired location. What’s that in the top banner? Flashing lights saying: “You’re the 1,000,000 visitor.” You want to send me on a cruise to Greece? Of course I’ll give you my credit card details so that you can verify my identity. Seriously?!

4. Hot Girls in your Area

Most internet adverts are so shameful and worthless that you end up pitying those who actually pay to have them featured on a website. Of all these misleading and ridiculous adverts, this one that has to be most deceptive. None of the hot girls advertised at these easy to reach landline numbers for €2.39 per minute live in your area. And even if they did and were hermits, they wouldn’t want to speak to you.

5. Wikipedia

The free encyclopedia is usually the first point of reference for any queries. Whether you are checking the exact spelling of Eyjafjallajökull or the next Square Root Day, Wikipedia is trustworthy for the most part. However, sometimes reading about how David Beckham kept goal for the 18th century English football team and that Robbie Williams makes his money by eating domestic pets in pubs in and around Stoke can pass you by.