TV | Let's Talk About Sex

There’s always more to be learned about sex, even if it’s information that we’d rather not know, discovers Stephanie Wallace Chavanne.

In the last number of years, mainstream television has become more daring, dealing with taboos such as addictions, anorexia, medical ‘mistakes’, and sex.

9pm is now the time when we can flick on the TV and be greeted with shows about a morbidly obese man switching diets with a dangerously underweight woman (Super Size vs. Super Skinny), documenting genuinely mortifying ‘embarrassing illnesses’ or explaining how the youth of today are going to die from liver damage. Some even have compassionate titles such as The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off… nice.

Thankfully, Channel 4 seems to be trying to shake off these more mindless examples and reiterate to its audience that it can have educational programmes that aren’t boring. And this is where Anna Richardson steps in.

“The show is both informative and funny; flirting with us while explaining exactly what syphilis does to our bodies and how it has come back with a vengeance”

She has discovered that although we talk and think about sex all the time, few of us actually know as much as we think we do about all things ‘duuurty’.

The Sex Education Show is advertised as being informative whether you’re ‘eight or eighty’, covering everything from the act itself to the aftermath. Viewers will learn much about the human body (e.g. where the G-spot is in men) and some interesting facts and figures along the way (that the clitoris contains 6,000-8,000 nerve endings).

Parents may be dismayed to find out that their darling kiddies are looking at this kind of thing on YouTube. Hello, Net Nanny!

The show is both informative and funny, flirting with us while explaining exactly what syphilis does to our bodies and how it has come back with a vengeance since its earlier historic reign.

Not only does dear Anna interrogate the unsuspecting public on their sex lives and have her loyal football team strip and measure themselves at her command, she also endures her own humiliation.

In the first episode she attempts tantric sex with a woman she doesn’t know, dresses up in fetish garb and loses her wax virginity. She truly throws herself into the show, getting STI screenings, doing burlesque dancing for strangers and terrifying teens with very graphic pictures of the five most contracted STIs in the UK.

Previous episodes of the show are available on the Channel 4 website (www.channel4.com). The website, like the show itself, provides great entertainment and some more than interesting information, but may also encourage you to book an MOT with your GP.

The Sex Education Show, Tuesdays, 8pm, Channel 4